Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why did everyone give the President a hard time about 1 commuted sentence with Scooter Libby?

The Associated Press

Saturday, Jan. 20, 2001; 1:52 p.m. EST

People pardoned or commuted Saturday before President Clinton left office, as released by the White House:

COMMUTATIONS:

Benjamin Berger

Ronald Henderson Blackley

Bert Wayne Bolan

Gloria Libia Camargo

Charles F. Campbell

David Ronald Chandler

Lau Ching Chin

Donald R. Clark

Loreta De-Ann Coffman

Derrick Curry

Velinda Desalus

Jacob Elbaum

Linda Sue Evans

Loretta Sharon Fish

Antoinette M. Frink

David Goldstein

Gerard A. Greenfield

Jodie E. Israel

Kimberly Johnson

Billy Thornton Langston Jr.

Belinda Lynn Lumpkin

Peter MacDonald

Kellie Ann Mann

Peter Ninemire

Hugh Ricardo Padmore

Arnold Paul Prosperi

Melvin J. Reynolds

Pedro Miguel Riveiro

Dorothy Rivers

Susan Rosenberg

Kalmen Stern

Cory Stringfellow

Carlo Anibal Vignali Jr.

Thomas Wilson Waddel III

Harvey Weinig

Kim Allen Willis

Update:

PARDONS:

Verla Jean Allen

Nicholas M. Altiere

Bernice Ruth Altschul

Joe Anderson Jr.

William Sterling Anderson

Mansour Azizkhani

Cleveland Victor Babin Jr.

Chris Harmon Bagley

Scott Lynn Bane

Thomas Cleveland Barber

Peggy Ann Bargon

David Roscoe Blampied

William Arthur Borders Jr.

Arthur David Borel

Douglas Chrles Borel

George Thomas Brabham

Almon Glenn Braswell

Leonard Browder

David Steven Brown

Delores Caroylene Burleson, aka Delores Cox Burleson

John H. Bustamante

Mary Louise Campbell

Eloida Candelaria

Dennis Sobrevinas Capili

Donna Denise Chambers

Douglas Eugene Chapman

Ronald Keith Chapman

Francisco Larois Chavez

Henry G. Cisneros

Roger Clinton

Stuart Harris Cohn

David Marc Cooper

Ernest Harley Cox Jr.

John F. Cross Jr.

Reickey Lee Cunningham

Richard Anthony De Labio

John Deutch

Richard Douglas

Edward Reynolds Downe

Update 2:

Marvin Dean Dudley

Larry Lee Duncan

Robert Clinton Fain

Marcos Arcenio Fernandez

Alvarez Ferrouillet

William Dennis Fugazy

Lloyd Reid George

Louis Goldstein

Rubye Lee Gordon

Pincus Green

Robert Ivey Hamner

Samuel Price Handley

Woodie Randolph Handley

Jay Houston Harmon

John Hummingson

David S. Herdlinger

Debi Rae Huckleberry

Donald Ray James

Stanley Pruet Jobe

Ruben H. Johnson

Linda Jones

James Howard Lake

June Louise Lewis

Salim Bonnor Lewis

John Leighton Lodwick

Hildebrando Lopez

Jose Julio Luaces

James Timothy Maness

James Lowell Manning

John Robert Martin

Frank Ayala Martinez

Silvia Leticia Beltran Martinez

John Francis McCormick

Susan H. McDougal

Howard Lawrence Mechanic

Brook K. Mitchell Sr.

Samuel Loring Morison

Charles Wilfred Morgan III

Richard Anthony Nazzaro

Charlene Ann Nosenko

Vernon Raymond Obermeier

Update 3:

Miguelina Ogalde

David C. Owen

Robert W. Palmer

Kelli Anne Perhosky

Richard H. Pezzopane

Orville Rex Phillips

Vinson Stewart Poling Jr.

Norman Lyle Prouse

Willie H.H. Pruitt Jr.

Danny Martin Pursley Sr.

Charles D. Ravenel

William Clyde Ray

Alfredo Luna Regalado

Ildefonso Reynes Ricafort

Marc Rich

Howard Winfield Riddle

Richard Wilson Riley Jr.

Samuel Lee Robbins

Joel Gonzales Rodriguez

Michael James Rogers

Anna Louise Ross

Gerald Glen Rust

Jerri Ann Rust

Bettye June Rutherford

Gregory Lee Sands

Adolph Schwimmer

Albert A. Seretti Jr.

Patricia Campbell Hearst Shaw

Dennis Joseph Smith

Gerald Owen Smith

Stephen A. Smith

Jimmie Lee Speake

Charles Bernard Stewart

Marlena Francisca Stewart-Rollins

John Fife Symington III

Richard Lee Tannehill

Nicholas C. Tenaglia

Gary Allen Thomas

Larry Weldon Todd

Olga C. Trevino

Ignatious Vamvouklis

Update 4:

Patricia A. Van De Weerd

Christopher V. Wade

Bill Wayne Warmath

Jack Kenneth Watson

Donna Lynn Webb

Donald William Wells

Robert H. Wendt

Jack L. Williams

Kavin Arthur Williams

Robert Michael Williams

Jimmie Lee Wilson

Thelma Louise Wingate

Mitchell Couey Wood

Warren Stannard Wood

Dewey Worthey

Rick Allen Yale

Joseph A. Yasak

William Stanley Yingling

Phillip David Young

the last part was still the continued pardons, and if you look at some names like McDougal you will see why. I hope people keep that in mind when they think about voting Hillary, because these people are her business associates too, not just Bill's.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think you were supposed to notice that. Dems hate the truth.

• 1. Wake up, Liberals. You're making a false accusation. Scooter Libby was not and is not a criminal. In fact... he was the scapegoat for your witch-hunt when you couldn't nail Bush on anything. Funny, I think it's still some leftover resentment that Clinton got successfully impeached.

If you even kept up with the situation, which you obviously didn't, you'd know that what he was convicted of was not being able to recall who he told what and when. He wasn't sure. He didn't leak anything... this was AFTER the leak, so do your homework before spouting your ridiculous conspiracy theories.

2. Clinton's pardons were all OK? Funny there are two people on that list named Clinton... how does THAT happen?

And how do you KNOW they weren't criminals? We never did find out what documents were stolen from the National Archive at Clinton's direction... could it be that he needed to bury a connection that could kill his legacy and any chance his wife had of a Presidential bid?

You want 'conspiracy theory', chew on that, nutballs!

At least that one has some ACTUAL EVIDENCE of WRONGDOING.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

After reading the previous answers, I really got a good laugh out of the ones stating that a CIA operative was outed.

Apparently, it is possible to "out" a non-"in" person. Valerie Plame was in no way ever a confidential employee of the CIA. Her name, job title, job description, and documentation was and always has been public record. If she is a secret agent, I think that the CIA needs to start watching spy movies since they obviously don't know how to hide their people.

• 1 decade ago

Good question, but until Bush leaves office it is pointless. As stated in the first sentence, all of those pardons happened the Saturday before he left office, as is the usual with all previous presidents. Ask the question again the day after Bush has left office to have any sort of valid comparison

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

So your saying conservatives didn't give Bill a hard time about this ?....F@CK...you still are bringing it up a decade later !!!!

SO WHAT !!!!??

I never understand how cons try to relieve Bush of any accountability, by always bringing up something Bill did. You do realize they are two seperate individuals ?

So if you murder someone, are you going to invoke O.J. Simpson as your defense ?.... "but but, OJ killed two people and got away with it !!!" Yea, i'm sure that will go over real well....

The problem with the Libby pardon is that it is a conflict of interest. He lied to protect the White House, and Bush repaid the favor with a pardon. Now tell me how this benefits the American people....how is this in the interest of justice ?

You may very well be 100% correct about Bill Clinton....

BUT, it still has nothing to do with Bush.

By your logic, we should just shrug off every bad thing anyone has ever done, because someone else did it too .....

Do you realize how ridiculous that is ?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Again?

Which one of the pardonee's from Clinton Era

committed treason by outting a CIA Agent and comprimising the entire network?

NONE so much for the war on terror, when we can gut the program because someone doesn't like what anothers husband wrote, we just throw the operative AND EVERYONE SHE WORKED WITH to the terrorists.

You republicans would have cried a ocean of tears had this been done under anyone but a republicans orders

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because what Democrats do is "good" and what Republicans do is defined automatically as "bad" by the left. Even if Billy took bribes for his pardons...

• 1 decade ago

Which one of those Clinton pardons was forgiving the treasonous betrayal of a CIA asset? Any?

There lies the rub.

[ If there's a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. . . . If the person has violated law, that person will be taken care of. I welcome the investigation. I am absolutely confident the Justice Department will do a good job. I want to know the truth. . . . Leaks of classified information are bad things.] - President George W (I don't keep my word when I'm culpable and protecting myself) Bush

• CFB
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Did anyone answering in the self righteous negatives about treason and such bother to notice that a fellow named Richard Armitege is the one this witch hunt was looking for and that it was known to the investigators over 1 year before they went after Scooter.

Novak's "primary source": Richard Armitage

After the indictment of Lewis Libby and the expiration of the term of the initial Grand Jury, Michael Isikoff revealed portions of his new book entitled Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War, co-authored with David Corn, in the August 28, 2006, issue of Newsweek. Isikoff reports that then Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage had a central role in the Plame affair.[57]

In their book Hubris Isikoff and Corn reveal — as both Armitage and syndicated columnist Robert Novak acknowledged publicly later — that Armitage was Novak's "initial" and "primary source" for Novak's July 2003 column that revealed Plame's identity as a CIA operative and that after Novak revealed his "primary source" (Novak's phrase) was a "senior administration official" who was "not a partisan gunslinger," Armitage phoned Colin Powell that morning and was "in deep distress." Reportedly, Armitage told Powell: "I'm sure [Novak is] talking about me." In his Newsweek article, Isikoff states:

“ The next day, a team of FBI agents and Justice prosecutors investigating the leak questioned the deputy secretary. Armitage acknowledged that he had passed along to Novak information contained in a classified State Department memo: that Wilson's wife worked on weapons-of-mass-destruction issues at the CIA... [William Howard Taft IV, the State Department's legal adviser] felt obligated to inform White House counsel Alberto Gonzales. But Powell and his aides feared the White House would then leak that Armitage had been Novak's source — possibly to embarrass State Department officials who had been unenthusiastic about Bush's Iraq policy. So Taft told Gonzales the bare minimum: that the State Department had passed some information about the case to Justice. He didn't mention Armitage. Taft asked if Gonzales wanted to know the details. The president's lawyer, playing the case by the book, said no, and Taft told him nothing more. Armitage's role thus remained that rarest of Washington phenomena: a hot secret that never leaked.[57]

According to Isikoff, as based on his sources, Armitage told Bob Woodward Plame's identity three weeks before talking to Novak, and Armitage himself was aggressively investigated by special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, but was never charged because Fitzgerald found no evidence that Armitage knew of Plame's covert CIA status when he talked to Novak and Woodward.[57]

In an August 27, 2006, appearance on Meet the Press, Novak is asked if indeed Armitage was his source of Mrs. Wilson's identity as a CIA operative. Novak responds: "I told Mr. Isikoff... that I do not identify my sources on any subject if they’re on a confidential basis until they identify themselves... I’m going to say one thing, though, I haven’t said before. And that is that I believe that the time has way passed for my source to identify himself."[58]

On August 30, 2006, the New York Times reports that the lawyer and other associates of Mr. Armitage confirmed he was Novak's "initial and primary source" for Plame's identity.[18] The New York Times also reports "Mr. Armitage cooperated voluntarily in the case, never hired a lawyer and testified several times to the grand jury, according to people who are familiar with his role and actions in the case. He turned over his calendars, datebooks and even his wife’s computer in the course of the inquiry, those associates said. But Mr. Armitage kept his actions secret, not even telling President Bush because the prosecutor asked him not to divulge it, the people said... Mr. Armitage had prepared a resignation letter, his associates said. But he stayed on the job because State Department officials advised that his sudden departure could lead to the disclosure of his role in the leak, the people aware of his actions said.... He resigned in November 2004, but remained a subject of the inquiry until [February 2006] when the prosecutor advised him in a letter that he would not be charged."[59]

In an interview with CBS News first broadcast on September 7, 2006, Armitage admits that he was Novak's "initial" and "primary source" (Novak's words). In the interview he describes his conversation with Novak:

Amasing that some people insist on remaining ignorant.

• 1 decade ago

You make a valid point but here is another one:

Bush flatly stated that ANYONE involved in the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame would be fired on the spot. So, why didn't he boot out Carl Rove and the rest instead of just tossing Scooter Libby to the wolves? They all were knowledgeable and involved in the matter.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nice try. Scooter was a criminal who was acting on orders from Vice President cheney, and the pardon was obviously given to protect a loyal soldier who had completely destroyed a grand jury investigation into a criminal matter.

Republicans don't believe in the Rule Of Law.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.