Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Where can you find out if you have a criminal record?

I dont know if i was ever charged with a felony, i went to court back in 2001,i know ive had a check on me for a gun and it came back clean, but there must be something on it, like how do employers do their background checks

6 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Any and all arrests and convictions as an adult are subject to be placed on your official Criminal History Report. This report will list all offenses you are charged and / or convicted of in any place in the United States. This is maintained by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) NCIC (National Crime Information Center) files. They are there FOREVER and NEVER go away. They can be accessed by law enforcement at anytime, or by contacting the state Attorney Generals Office of your state if you are doing a back ground check on some one. They can tell you how and if you can obtain an official Criminal History Report. If you want to get a Criminal History Report on yourself:

    The Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) centralizes criminal justice information and provides accurate and timely information and services to local, state, federal, and international law enforcement agencies, the private sector, academia, and other government agencies. The subject of an identification record may obtain a copy thereof by submitting a written request to the CJIS . The request must be accompanied by satisfactory proof of identity (consisting of name, date and place of birth, and a set of roll-inked fingerprint impressions) and a certified check or money order for the $18 processing fee. The FBI will not provide copies of arrest records to individuals other than the subject of the record. Requests should be directed to FBI CJIS Division, Attn: SCU, Mod. D-2, 1000 Custer Hollow Rd., Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306. If there is no criminal record, a report reflecting this fact is provided.

    One last note......... Juvenile records, unless you are adjudicated as an adult and charged in adult court are all sealed and only available to authorized government agencies. Not the public.

    Source(s): 25 years on the job
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    You should be able to get yourself fingerprinted at any police station or anyplace that has Livescan. Livescan only takes a day or 2 to come back. Usually it's an agency that wants to fingerprint you so they get the results, but I'm sure if you ask them you can pay and get the results yourself. (Livescan runs around $55)

    How can you NOT KNOW if you have a felony or not??? Also, being charged and being convicted are two totally different things. If whoever charged you dropped the charges then as far as I know you will come up clean. And uh... just what do you plan on doing with this gun you're buying????

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Go to the Clerk of Courts where you were charged and ask how you can get a copy of your criminal record. They should be able to tell you what is listed under your name with your SS # and DOB.

    If they don't do it there, you can go to the local PD or to the County Records Section and get a copy there. Make sure you take your drivers license or your SS card and birth certificate so they can verify who you are before giving you your record. We didn't give anyone anything until we saw ID or there was a signed release in hand. There may also be a charge so have some cash handy to pay for any copies you may get.

    Source(s): civ 25 yrs at PD
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

    Criminal Records Search :

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    A police list is solely that, a list for the police and govt know-how and is created for every person who's arrested, convicted or no longer. It is not disclosable to any individual until you observe to an agency just like the Police or Military. Even then it's not likely to have any have an impact on for your process e.t.c. A crook list is special, it approach you could have been convicted of an offence or permitted a warning, and stays disclosable to any individual who asks for it for no less than five years (businesses, no longer members). A crook list can have an impact on a long run process or an present one as good as prohibiting you access in to different nations such because the USA. A penalty discover for sickness is special. It is an admission that you just comitted the offence nonetheless through accepting and paying the best you're discharging all accountability for the offence. Hence, you're going to get a police list however no longer a crook one.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Go to

    Using its Public Record Databases.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.