Did your parents ever tell you to be "in" or "cool"? One of mine did...HELP?!?

Because one of mine just did, and it sunk really deep. I know I don't want to live the stereotypical life, and I've come to accept that. I have a different set of hobbies and friends from the rest of my family, but I'm happy with them. I was just arguing with my mom about the stupidest thing, and she... show more Because one of mine just did, and it sunk really deep. I know I don't want to live the stereotypical life, and I've come to accept that. I have a different set of hobbies and friends from the rest of my family, but I'm happy with them.

I was just arguing with my mom about the stupidest thing, and she said "Do you WANT to be in? Do you WANT to be cool?!" and I don't. She wants me to be this person I'm not, and she wants me to just turn into her.

Please don't tell me just to ignore her, because it's pretty hard when you're living with someone with a completely different set of values than you. Especially when this person is a meddler. She's always pushing her crap on me about how she wants me to only hang out with "well off" people, and I can try whatever method I want: yelling, calmly talking, writing her a letter, nothing works.

What should I do? My feelings are really really hurt, and I can't believe this woman is my mother.