Does the word ´´excruciatingly´´ have to have a negative or painful connotation?

Is it possible to use the word ¨excruciatingly¨ as an adverb meaning only extreme or intense, without meaning painful? for example, does it make sense to say something is excruciatingly fun? can this statement mean only that something is extremely or intensly fun, and not necessarity mean painfully fun, or have a negative connotation?

Update:

i believe this definition supports the possibility that the word could be used without the negative connotation:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

ex·cru·ci·at·ing (ĭk-skrōō'shē-ā'tĭng) Pronunciation Key

adj.

1: Intensely painful; agonizing.

2: Very intense or extreme: wrote with excruciating precision.

since the second definition is seperate, I think it shows that the word could be used correctly while only meaning extreme or intense, without the pain connotation.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

By definition it is: "In a very painful manner."

That seems negative to me.

• 1 decade ago

Saying something is excruciatingly fun is called a paradox (A paradox is a phrase that contradicts itself). It's a way of making something seem more noticeable. Although the word "excruciatingly" does have a negative connotation, it can still be used in that manner if it's with the correct wording to make things seem ironic.

• 1 decade ago

"excruciatingly fun" sais that what you are experiencing is painful yet fun. For example an appropriate sentence would be, "Getting a tattoo of Bugs Bunny was excruciatingly fun" So, you cannot use the term excruciating in a positive way -S

• 4 years ago

Excruciating Definition

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Excruciatingly always has a painful and negative connotation.

"Excruciatingly fun" sounds like it involves leather and chains.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Generally used, the word will mostly be seen as a negative description of something. I don't think there's any way around it.

• 1 decade ago

to me it has a negative connotation. excruciatingly fun seems sarcastic.

• 1 decade ago

excruciatingly exciting

excruciatingly painfull

works both ways

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is possible, but it's been associated with pain in most every context I've ever heard, so it's hard not to think of "ooooowwwwwwww," when I hear it. =/

• 1 decade ago

I'm pretty sure that it is only used in negative context.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.