Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Background Check?

I currently have a CDL and want to get a HAZ-MAT endorsement added to this. But a friend of mine said I'd first have to go to the police department and have them do a background check. Is this true and if so, how long does it take?


I live in North Carolina. How much does the background check cost? Any ideas?

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Any and all arrests and convictions as an adult are subject to be placed on your official Criminal History Report. This report will list all offenses you are charged and / or convicted of in any place in the United States. This is maintained by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) NCIC (National Crime Information Center) files. They are there FOREVER and NEVER go away. They can be accessed by law enforcement at anytime, or by contacting the state Attorney Generals Office of your state if you are doing a back ground check on some one. They can tell you how and if you can obtain an official Criminal History Report. If you want to get a Criminal History Report on yourself:

    The Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) centralizes criminal justice information and provides accurate and timely information and services to local, state, federal, and international law enforcement agencies, the private sector, academia, and other government agencies. The subject of an identification record may obtain a copy thereof by submitting a written request to the CJIS . The request must be accompanied by satisfactory proof of identity (consisting of name, date and place of birth, and a set of roll-inked fingerprint impressions) and a certified check or money order for the $18 processing fee. The FBI will not provide copies of arrest records to individuals other than the subject of the record. Requests should be directed to FBI CJIS Division, Attn: SCU, Mod. D-2, 1000 Custer Hollow Rd., Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306. If there is no criminal record, a report reflecting this fact is provided.

    One last note......... Juvenile records, unless you are adjudicated as an adult and charged in adult court are all sealed and only available to authorized government agencies. Not the public.

    Source(s): 25 years on the job.
  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Background Check Search Database -
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It's not so much how long it takes it don't take long at all, and yes they do usually do a back ground check. It's more about how much does it cost.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You can go to

    Using its Public Record Databases.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.