promotion image of download ymail app

What is the best way to get deadbeat tenants pay the rent they owe me in Richmond VA? Please help.?

City of Richmond, VA

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Getting the tenant out is probably your best bet. Rarely does a tenant who falls behind catch up and stay caught up. VAgirl has an adequate description of how to formally evict the tenant, but sometimes you don't have to do this.

    What I recommend is trying to talk to them (have a letter you can leave if they're not home / won't answer) and offer them some money if they can be out in 24 hours. Make it worth their while (half of their deposit or couple hundred bucks). Let them know you don't want to evict them since this will hurt their credit / ability to get a new place, but you'll do what you have to do. It doesn't always work, but I have had this method work. Don't pay them until they're gone.

    Good Luck.

    Source(s): Personal experience - REALTOR 5 years Hampton Roads, VA USA Property Manager 9 months.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • VAgirl
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    Send them a notice of later rent by certified mail. Keep a copy. Once the deadline on the notice has passed, file a warrent for judgement on them in small claims and ask for possesion and all money owed. It will take you about 2 weeks or so to get a court date so start this process now. Make sure you have documentation of all money owed and the reason (rent, late fees, any work/repairs that are there costs). In court you will be able to ask for the costs and possesion of the unit. They will have 10 days to pay or leave (if they don't dispute the charges and seek a court date). After the 10th day you can go back and file to have the sheriff evict them. That will take about 48 hours in most cases. Bottom line-start now and you may have them out legally in about a month. Good luck not a fun task.

    --Double check the time frame for the late rent notice, I can't recall off hand if you must give them 5 days or 10 to pay before going to court. If you call the court clerks office they can tell you.

    Source(s): Prop mngr in Va
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Communicate that non-payment of rent breaks your agreement and if they aren't current or haven't made arrangements with you to get current in 2 weeks you have no choice but to start the eviction process and get a judgement against them.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Start an eviction NOW. However even if you evict them AND get a judgment for past due rent, you may not be able to collect on that judgment.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Evicting them and get a court judgement

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.