Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What do you think of the confederate flag?

I think it is a symbol of racism, slavery, and ignorance.

So why does today's Republican Party defend it and talk about "state-rights" and "southern heritage"?

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May11/0,4670,Conf...

Whatever happened to the real Party of Lincoln?

• Sam N
    Best Answer

I think the display of it on a flagpole or displayed the way the present flag of the United States is displayed is a representation of slavery and racism as the Confederacy fought to defend th institution of slavery. Lincoln and the Republicans in 1860 ran on the platform of containing slavery and when they won, beating a divided Democratic Party, Northern Democrats having similar ideas to Lincoln and Southern Democrats wanting to defend slavery, the Southern states seceeded starting the Civil War because they were afraid of losing their slaves.

However, the flag does bear historical significance as the "Stars and Bars", the Confederate Battle Flag, was the rallying point for the Confederate Army, most of which was made up of poor boys who didn't own a single slave, and was carried in every battle from Manassas to the Siege of Petersburg. Therefore, the flag is important for either historical reinactors, Civil War memorials, and historical museums on the American Civil War. Outside of its use in historical efforts, the Confederate flag should not be displayed because of the ideals that it was first raised to defend.

Well it seems as if our young people have not read history. The Civil War was not fought over slavery (contrary to popular belief-fostered by a politically correct school system) it was fough over commerce and states rights. President Lincoln added slavery as part of the war with the "Emancipation Proclamation" which did not free all slaves but those in the Southern states with a number of exceptions.

Please people READ, RESEARCH and THINK FOR YOURSELVES.

To many in the south the Confederate Battle flag (what most people call the Confederate Flag) stands for heritage, honor and duty of our forefathers and a stance against federalism. It stands for a deeply held sense of family and home. As recently as 2001 a vote was put out in Mississippi to rid it's state flag of the Stars and Bars and it was voted down 2:1. The population of Mississippi voters is almost 40% black. Do the math.

The flag of a state is the symbol of that state chosen by the state and it's voters. It is a states rights issue. The federal government does not have the right of the lawful authority to tell a state what to do with its' flag. Do you want the federal goverment telling you what to do everywhere in your life?

Yall are the racist ones sitting on here running down symbols of my heritage. The Confederate flag isnt a symbol of racism, slavery or ignorance. Yall need to grow up and read your history before you start spouting off. If its ok for mexicans and blacks and every body else to be proud of where they came from then why aint it ok for Southerners to show that they are proud of their culture and heritage. I'm not a racist if you want to see one go look in the mirror.

Here is a quote by Mr Abraham Lincoln since you seem to like him so well, "I am not now, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social or political equality of the white and black races. I am not now nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor of intermarriages with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and the black races which will forever forbid the two races living together on social or political equality. There must be a position of superior and inferior, and I am in favor of assigning the superior position to the white man." Lincoln, 1858 Speech.

Was your hero Lincoln a racist..... a yankee racist ??? Yes he was!

• pgb

I bet the same people who are so passionate about hating the confederate flag think wearing the American flag on your lapel is ignorant jingoism.

Some people just like to keep conflict going forever. It must feed your sick souls.

As long as you are a slave to your emotions, this can't be a rational discussion.

Claiming that you see the flag as a symbol of racism, slavery and ignorance is, itself, ignorant

Why aren't the unemployed a symbol of laziness to you?

Why don't women represent sexuality to you?

Do you only think in these stereotypes?

That's bigotry.

I have the same feeling towards the mexican flag, but nobody seems to want to get rid of that rag.

• Will

looks good on a Custom Harley

If they want to embrace the loser flag, well that's fine with me.. They have every right, and I have the right to wipe my azz with it as well..

It stands for treason and defeat.

it's also a sign of treason