Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 1 decade ago

Is California a nice place to live anymore?

Any part counts, but more specifically southern California. I keep hearing stories how it's extremely overpopulated, and prone to natural disasters, + crime, immorality, attitude, materialism, and basically everything bad. Is it really that bad? Compared to the rest of the country? I mean if you're looking to escape from the east like Jersey/NY, or go to someplace more liberal that has better weather, is California the place to do so,

OR

Is California the place people want to escape FROM? lol.

I keep hearing mixed feelings.

Anyways, list the PROS and CONS of living in California as opposed to the east coast.

Thanks!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The real estate is out of control, it has one of the highest state income taxes and everything is expensive. I am originally from the south, but have lived alot of places including the NE....in the NE by the WAS expensive too....but it was rural (CT) and people liked it that way....it had a good sense of community and wholesomeness.

Here...while there are alot beautiful areas to take in....and we have only lived here for 2 yrs....I feel like I am in a vacation place....it doesnt feel real. I DO miss other places I have lived in the respect where there are normal people not consumed with everything that is LA. Northern CA is nice....but is is expensive...again.

If I were younger and didnt have kids....I wouldnt mind doing 2-3 yr stint here just to see all the stuff....Santa Barbara, lake tahoe, yosemite, san diego, big sur, etc....I dont love it enough to live here....but for now I do....live here, not love it. I am looking forward to the next place OUT of CA. Too many ppl, and too expensive...nice to visit, but wouldnt want to live.

And also the earthquake thing....we check the activity of all the small temors....and they are constant...the experts keep saying we are due for a big one....hopefully we will be out of here by then! lol

People out here are definitely laid back more...and back east everyone is so hustle bustle....I never see anyone dress up in the way I see folks dress up back east....believe it or not, you miss it sometimes. Out in the burbs where I live...people are nice....but I feel alot of people are caught up in all the entertainment influence....because I have never been around it...I dont buy into to it, plus I have young kids. I think at the end of the day...you would want to be in a place where people were friendly and geniune.....and I have a hard time finding that comfortable place where ppl are that way.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I've never lived on the East Coast, so I can't compare the two.

But here's what I like and don't like about Southern California:

Like: Disneyland!, the weather, the malls, the restaraunts, the people, the scenery, the clubs, the beach, the opportunities

Dislike: Traffic, too many people sometimes, crime rate, smog, bad drivers

All I can think of right now, but I think California is more good than bad! But that's just my opinion ;-)

• 1 decade ago

I moved from a Washington, D.C. suburb to CA twice. The first time I moved to San Francisco. pros: I loved the fog, cool weather, no mosquitoes, great architecture, being in a walking city, the different neighborhoods, the food cons: the insane rents, parking restrictions, and the embracing of kookiness over normality

The second time I moved to L.A. pros: temperate weather, no mosquitoes, lots of East Coast transplants, plenty of free things to do, cheaper than S.F. cons: Santa Ana winds/really hot, dry days, graffiti, traffic, phoniness, racial conflict in some areas

If you are young and open minded, you will like CA. If you want to buy a home and raise a family, choose somewhere else.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have lived here for most of my years. CA has some great spots to live, I think. LA though, peaked in the 1960s and started to suck, badly, I might add.

I like San Digeo, San Francisco, Tahoe, the north coast, Napa, Santa Barbara, Ojai, Big Sur...not to mention anywhere in the Sierra Nevada. The state is still a jewel in many ways.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Drew
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think that the media often plays Southern California to be just like one big Las Vegas when it's not. The crime in Southern Cal is primarily located in LA, and only some parts in LA. The crime in LA is no worse than the crime in NYC or Miami. As for natural disasters it's no where near as bad as many other areas in the East Coast. Earthquakes are fairly rare and are usually not very harmful. A lot of the other things that you talk about are things that exist in Southern California, but are not as huge as they are played off to be in TV and movies.

• Dave
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes, all the bad stuff you mention is here - and more. But when weighing it against the east coast, California wins hands down to me. The variety in nature alone makes it different than anyplace else in the US. You can find good & bad anywhere but I'll take January in California over anywhere else!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I live in Cali and I love it here! It depends on the neighborhood and city you live in, the people in my neighborhood are friendly and cool. Sure it could get hot, but it's California! The beaches are one main spot you have to go to in Cali, and do you really want to go when it's raining? I bet they have people with attitudes everywhere. You know, that one person who just annoys the heck out of you? Yeah, it's like that here.

• 1 decade ago

Most cities in the U.S. are as you describe you just hear more about such things from California because well everything happens here gets aired....looked around you, crime and immorality run rampant everywhere....materialism? Ha just go to the local high school.....CA is a great state many of the major cities are impossible to live in now yes due to overpopulation but mostly to housing costs...there are though many fairly priced cities in the state...it's an awesome state and well if you think otherwise come on down and visit....

• 1 decade ago

Yeah all those things seem to happen here. But I must say we do not have hurricanes to the magnitude that a whole city is devastated. In fact, after Katrina Californians took in and gave very generously to those victimized by such a disaster. I would like to know what community is not plagued by immorality, attitude, materialism and "everything bad?" I would suggest if you are that worried about the doings here you go ahead and consider moving to some place sparsely populated.

• 1 decade ago

I am from Rochester/Buffalo, NY and my husband and I dislike California for all the reasons you stated. Most people are fake as hell (many rely totally on appearances, car, clothes, etc.) and don't care much for the integrity of their character. Unlike the Northeast, YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYBODY. People with either

A. Flake out on you when your really need them

B. You make deal with someone, and they break it (I tried to buy a car 4 times before someone actually went through with a verbal agreement and kept it for more than 12 hours) or rip you off.

C. People are lazier and more self absorbed out here than in NY and don't really care about what they are doing and mess things up a lot, (DMV, College, Rental Offices, Bank) and have really screwed with my life.

D. Traffic sucks and people drive like they are Valium. This is the only place I have ever had to honk, more than once a week, to someone who flaked out when the light changed to green.

Pros: Burritos, the working class people in my neighborhood who make the east side of SD feel like a real place.

Cons: Everything is expensive, vapidness of culture and lack of an educated populous.

My advice? Go down to Miami if you want to escape from the weather, every hardcore NY/ Eastcoaster I have met can't wait to finish grad school and move back east.

Not ignorant Mo, and believe me, I can't wait to leave in 2010! There is a lot to love in CA and unfortunately a lot to hate; just mine and my hubby's east coast perspective on things, and my other friends who were born and raised on the east coast who now live here. Have you ever lived on the east coast for a long period of time and know what the people who were born and raised there are like and what we value? Its totally different than CA. All my friends back home who have lived here asked me within a month of first getting into town if I hated it yet.

Source(s): Living in San Diego.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.