Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 decade ago

I Just Heard an Ad By the PhRMA Attempting to Curry Favor With the U. S. Public-?

-"Want to Help", Want to Help Themselves?

So, is the PhRMA Essentially a Lobbying Organization?

I didn't Think this Would Be So Hard to Answer, One Can Find an Entry For the PhRMA On Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_Resear...

Thanks K.

Favorite Answer

I know nothing about this. But, figured I'd try and contribute something in light of the lack of answers...

All I have really is a couple examples that makes it appear that PhRMA is helping itself to at least a greater extent than helping the public. Their mission is to conduct effective advocacy for public policies that encourage discovery of important new medicines for the public by pharmaceutical/biotechnology research companies. Well, in 2006, PhRMA members invested an estimated $43 billion in discovering and developing new medicines. Industry-wide research and investment reached a *record* $55.2 billion in 2006. But, it seems that PhRMA hasn't been innovating much at all lately, which I would think, leads one to wonder where all the money is going.

Couple examples:

According to a May report by the nonprofit National Institute for Health Care Management (nihcm), the pharmaceutical industry has been producing a much higher percentage of "me too" drugs and far fewer truly innovative ones over the past decade. The report shows that the number of drug applications the FDA puts on a priority track (because they appear "to represent an advance over available therapy") has shrunk dramatically compared to the number put on a standard track (because they appear "to have therapeutic qualities similar to those of an already marketed drug").

One can see on television which drugs are being marketed most aggressively. Ads for Celebrex seem to suggest that the drug will enable arthritics to run marathons, but the drug actually relieves pain no better than basic ibuprofen; its principal supposed benefit is causing fewer ulcers, but the FDA recently rejected that claim.

Clarinex is a differently packaged version of Claritin, which is of questionable efficacy in the first place and is sold OTC abroad for much less. Nexium, touted as the "purple pill" is supposedly essentially AstraZeneca's old heartburn drug Prilosec with a minor chemical twist that allowed the company to extend its patent. Noteworthy is that researchers know that purple is a particularly good pill color for inducing placebo effects.