cher
cher asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 1 decade ago

ham making me swelled?

everytime i eat ham my feet sweell up

i try an stay away from it

but why is this happening ?

Favorite Answer

Because of the salt content in ham you could be retaining water. It is quite common.

THIS IS NOT AN ALLERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you were allergic to pork products, this would happen when you eat bacon and pork chops as well.

Happens to me.

http://www.annecollins.com/weight_health/water-ret...

Ham has a LOT LOT LOT of salt in it....you have fluid retention, hon.....Cut the salt intake....if your sodium levels are low you want to eat LESS sodium. I know that this doesn't make sense to you OR to me but that's how it works. Putting your feet up over your heart also helps with the swelling. Otherwise, if I were you, I'd stay away from the salt-pork, ham.

Source(s): Experience with swelling after eating salty things.

It COULD have something to do with the salt content in the ham, causing water retention or something. I'd definitely consult a doctor, though.

Allergy - allergic to ham!

I would not eat ham if I were you! This could just be a warning sign of more to come!

• Ham is cured by injecting the fresh meat with salt. You must be particularly sensitive to the type of curing that ham goes through.

• Mickey

It's the sodium content. You should drink a lot of water to flush your system. If you do eat ham then drink water NOT soda (which has, duh, sodium in it). Do you suffer from headaches too? Ham is notorious for wreaking havoc with migraine sufferers. I wonder, do you swell if you eat Chinese food too? MSG; sodium. Watch your intake of it. Good luck.

it is the salt in the ham, it causes you to retain water and the water settles in your feet and ankles. Drink a whole lot more water to flush it out.

Source(s): RN

The sodium is likely the cause.

Try eating something salty and see if you have the same reaction.

Does it do it when you eat other pork or just ham? If all pork, you are allergic.

salt makes you retain water and ham is full of it.

• adnerb

High salt content in ham......you are retaining water.