Being sued for credit card debt in Oregon, attempting debt validation, how do I go about it?

I am being sued for a four year old cc debt from Capital One by a lawyer from Collect America. The original debt was 1900 and with interest it comes to around 3900. I have not responded to the summons yet. From a newspaper article online I found this about the subject. ----------- Challenge the... show more I am being sued for a four year old cc debt from Capital One by a lawyer from Collect America. The original debt was 1900 and with interest it comes to around 3900. I have not responded to the summons yet. From a newspaper article online I found this about the subject.
-----------
Challenge the collector

Jarzombek goes one step further and recommends challenging the collector to prove that the defendant owes the debt. Often, he says, the collector will not have access to the original contract or details of the debt to prove his case and any response from the defendant will cause the debt buyer to walk away from the case.

"You can appear in court by filing a written answer with one sentence: 'I deny the plaintiff's claim,'" he said. "I tell them to show me a contract, to demonstrate that they have the authority to sue."
-------
Other sources I found about validating a debt talk about sending the debt validation demand to the collector not the court? What should i do?
Update: Thanks for the reply - Collect America is a franchise that employs lawyers, the letter was sent by a lawyer in my state. I think if I send the debt validation response and they don't have access to the original contract ect then they will drop the suit... Also I am wondering if the summons lists Capital... show more Thanks for the reply - Collect America is a franchise that employs lawyers, the letter was sent by a lawyer in my state.

I think if I send the debt validation response and they don't have access to the original contract ect then they will drop the suit...

Also I am wondering if the summons lists Capital One as the plaintiff then that means they have'nt sold the debt they have just employed these collectors to recover it.
Update 2: Squeezie, I agree, this is my debt and I would like to take care of it. At one point 6 months ago they offered to take 1000 and consider it payed but I didnt have the money. I think I can borrow the full 1900 from a relative and pay it off but all that interest I can't come up with. I'm unsure if Capital... show more Squeezie, I agree, this is my debt and I would like to take care of it. At one point 6 months ago they offered to take 1000 and consider it payed but I didnt have the money. I think I can borrow the full 1900 from a relative and pay it off but all that interest I can't come up with. I'm unsure if Capital One will even talk to me since a lawyers is handling it and a lawsuit is pending.
Update 3: Wartz, SOL in OR is 6 years Patrick, If Capital One is listed as the plaintiff do they still own the debt? Should i talk to them or Collect America? In the quote they said collectors often handle large porfolios of debts and dont have access to validation documents. My thought was get them to back down then... show more Wartz, SOL in OR is 6 years

Patrick, If Capital One is listed as the plaintiff do they still own the debt? Should i talk to them or Collect America? In the quote they said collectors often handle large porfolios of debts and dont have access to validation documents. My thought was get them to back down then propose a one time settlement in full payment at 50% or so.