What is the max speed that you can legally drive on the motorway/dual carridge way?

The speed is supposed to be 70mph but it is so laxed i was wondering if it is legal to go beyond that to overtake.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no, still only 70mph

• 3 years ago

I have been given a value ticket for seventy one in a fifty 5 as quickly as, i presumed that became exceedingly lame. Technically, you would be unable to LEGALLY do a million mph over the shrink, that's why that's observed as a velocity shrink. many times law enforcement officers will set up a velocity catch and pull over the 1st vehicle that is going by potential of at a definite velocity. In a sixty 5 zone, i attempt to maintain it decrease than 80.

• 1 decade ago

Most forces set there Lasers to 'stuff' at 90 but anything over 80 is fair game if the roads are quiet.

As you know the limit is 70, but as the police have pointed out, 'if they set the radars / lasers below 80 they would be so many cars being picked up, the system couldn't cope so no one would ever get a ticket' ...

Now, if we could just get everyone to drive at 100 ...?

• According to rule 261 of The Highway Code found in the source listed below, the vehicle must not exceed 70 mph (112 km/h), or 60 mph (96 km/h) if you're driving a goods vehicle exceeding 7.5 tonnes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rowdy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Don't forget that, by law, speedos only have to be accurate to within 10%. Most car manufacturers use this to make their cars appear faster than they really are. So many people who think they're doing 70 are only doing about 65.

Incidentally, tachographs have to be within 1%, so they're much more accurate. So that lorry overtaking you at 50 is probably not speeding.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the legal speed in the UK you can drive on a dual carriageway or motorway is 70mph and your not supposed to go below 40mph for safety reasons.

a lot of people do go faster and don't get caught but eventually they will.

• Roger
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Legally it's 70MPH regardless of whether or not your overtaking...

and remember it's a LIMIT not a TARGET :)

• 1 decade ago

Law for cars is 70mph

• 1 decade ago

The limit is 70 for cars BUT if you are towing a trailer or caravan the limit drops to 60.

Source(s): Highway Code
  • 1 decade ago

No the limit is 70mph, end of story I'm afraid.

• Rich S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Its 70mph unless signposted otherwise.

Overtaking or not its still 70.

Unless you are on the autobahn in Germany . . . . . .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.