gumbo help?

i really love gumbo but have no clue how to make it. does anyone have a not so hard recipe?

Favorite Answer

I just made some gumbo yesterday! Yum! My husband and I like making the roux from scratch, its not as hard as people make it out to be, and the taste is so much better! Here's how I make mine:

Ingredients:

1 c. Flour

1/2 c. Butter

1/2 c. canola oil

6-8 c. veggies...I use celery, onions, corn, diced tomatoes, okra, and green peppers.

1/4 c. minced garlic

2 cans chicken or beef broth

water to make desired consistency

1 lb. sausage (cook seperately in frying pan first)

1 Rotiseree chicken, shredded or cut to bite sized pieces

Hot sauce to taste

Tony's Creole seasoning to taste

2 Bay leaves

Directions:

Prepare your veggies first (chop, dice, mince, etc. and place in a bowl next to where you'll be cooking your roux.) To make the Roux, Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat until butter is melted. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon constantly until the roux is as dark as you want it. (My husband likes a dark roux, so I cook mine until it looks like chocolate pudding.) As soon as the roux reaches the desired color, add your veggies and quickly stir until they are well coated with the roux. Add the broth and water to make gumbo as "soupy" as you want it. Add the pre-cooked sausage and shredded rotiseree chicken, as well as hot sauce, bay leaves, and Tony's. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes with lid slightly off. Remove Bay Leaves, and add extra seasoning if desired. :) We always eat ours with rice and crackers, mmmmm!

Hope this helps...the rotiseree chicken really speeds things up, otherwise you'll need to boil the chicken first and skin and debone it...adds a lot of time, uggh. My mother in law does put the skins in to add flavor, then removes them when it's done cooking.

Source(s): Learned from my mother-in-law who grew up in the deep south :)

The next time you are at the supermarket, pick up a box of Zatarain's New Orleans Gumbo. It's a packaged mix and just as good as one made from scratch. Some ppl even prefer it (my mom did). She always made her gumbo with chicken and sausage. I tried it recently and will never again make it from scratch. Too time consuming. www.zatarain.com

'Dem Darn Red-birds done flowed they way inta the Sup-A Bol, ain't dey? Congrats to Ya'll!!! We don' even watch since poor Ol' Brett stopped playin' games and started playin' GAMES! DUDE! Feel the LOVE from Wisconsin! PS. Any post with the names of "The Cool People" is worthy of entering in a contest for publication/prize money.

Cook hot Italian sausage add died shrimp or shrimp onion fresh garlic okra rice tomato sauce water and chili powder tea spoon of sugar salt n peper

Source(s): You owe me big time