promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

can police scanners be traced?

I was looking on ebay and i saw those multi-band scanners, I thought, what if i stumble upon a police frequency and it got...... stuck on it, would i get traced? because i know you can't, legaly, listen to the police, something to do with you can't listen to radio/mobile phone messages or calls that aren't inteded for you.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I am sorry but you are wrong about listening to a police channel. Scanners are not illegal if they were then you couldn't go to a CB shop and buy one. They can not trace you because they only receive they don't transmit anything. You are right it is illegal to listen in on a phone conversation at least in the state of Arizona it is. That is where you get into the wire tapping issues.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

• 1 decade ago

Unfortunatley I can't answer for the US but all UK Police forces use Airwaves which is a digital system very similar to mobile phones but on a lower frequency. The system is encrypted and all handsets go through an authentication sequence before connecting to the network therefore unless you can crack the encryption and pass the authentication process you won't be able to listen to the Police. Even if you managed that it wouldn't be particularly interesting... trust me.

The scanners are just listening radios they can be tuned into particular frequencies that your household radio doesn't pick up. In any case it is illegal to listen in but is highly unlikely anyone will be out looking for you.

Source(s): Traffic Officer - Ex Comms engineer
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

I suggest this service: http://phonedetectives.co - The best reverse cell phone lookup service.

It's a cheap service that works great! It could be used for a much deeper search. You can use it to get hold of different varieties of background reports, and in addition cell numbers, addresses and names.. you can get unlimited reports... I ran with this because I required to verify more numbers.

You can get the name, other phone number, address history, relatives, and much more about anyone! The completly free reverse phone lookup generally doesn't provide anything interesting. To get interesting information, money will must be paid. The free searches don't provide considerably more than what may be found through the phone directory or personal information and they simply require your email to send spam. The reverse phone detective search tool does work, but you should use just the service that I posted above. The last thing you want to do, is pay for a service and find the numbers you want to lookup are not available in their directory.

The service that I reccomend doesn't have any kind of problem , you won't get any bad surprise! Trust it!

Reverse Phone Lookup area gives you additional access to millions of public records, including:

+ Find out the source of a harassing ("prank") caller

+ Research a number that appeared on your phone bill

+ Locate an old friend from high school or college

+ Research "missed calls" on your caller ID that you don't recognize

+ Verify an address

+ And more...

PhoneDetectives - http://phonedetectives.co

Conduct an instant reverse phone lookup. 100% Confidentail and Instant Results!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I use this piece of equipment every day not sure if the same bit of kit is used nationally but ours is called 'Lantern'. It is at this time in our Service only used by Road Policing Units, and airport officers. They only show prints held on the national database, so if you have never been arrested or reported for a recordable offence you will return a negative trace. At the moment there is no legislation in place in regards to making the request for roadside prints, as a result prints can only be taken with conscent, which is recorded. That will change in the future. As previously stated roadside prints are deleted either directly after taking or at the end of the shift. The Lantern is there to assist in identifying known people, we also use it to identify deceased when they are found with no ID.

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDCq1

• 1 decade ago

Your scanner will not pick up any Police Frequency in the UK anymore so dont worry about it, we have all switched to digital airwaves using handsets that bounce off mobile phone masts much like mobile phone therefore no police communications are floating in the air anymore for scanners to pick them up, they are encrypted so only police handsets that have been added to our systems can get onto our channels.

Source(s): UK special constable
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The scanners advertised on e-bay will not now pick up any police force, they have changed to totally digital and they have the voices encrypted so the scanners are useless for emergency services, you cannot even buy a decoder in the UK, in the US it is different.

• 1 decade ago

Scanners can not be traced at all, unless you can transmit with them....once you start to transmit then yes....they can and will trace you.

But scanners are fun.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, they don't transmit so they are untraceable, unless you have very expensive and specialized equipment. You can listen to any non-encrypted police frequency and it's perfectly legal. You just cannot go to a scene etc... or interfere in any way. Cell phone calls are illegal to listen to, for the reason you listed. With the current generation digital technology, you can't easily pick them up on your average scanner anymore. The FCC owns the police frequencies and licenses the agencies to use them, so the cops don't "own" the channels they use. The FCC has deemed it permissible to scan them, but you CANNOT interfere in police activity or use any info you might hear on the scanner.

Source(s): Cop
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, any radio receiver can be traced. But police scanner frequencies are open to the public. What is illegal is to repeat what you hear to others. The real fact for any of the previously mentioned is the police and the FCC have better things to do than worrying about you or others listening to them. If they have something private, they will use frequency skipping transmissions that might give you 2 words of the conversation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.