What services does the government provide that are not, or can not, be provided by the private sector?

Other than law enforcement and national defense

Personally, I couldn't come up with anything. And since the private sector is always more efficient than governments, the question arises, "why is the government still involved in areas other than law enforcement and national defense?"
Update: Jeremy B - I've never seen a government employee giving shots. Healthcare is provided by private doctors. Government just pays the bill In most places garbage collection is paid for on the water bill. Just like medical and your cell phone, water and garbage collection factors in the cost of uncollectible... show more Jeremy B - I've never seen a government employee giving shots. Healthcare is provided by private doctors. Government just pays the bill

In most places garbage collection is paid for on the water bill. Just like medical and your cell phone, water and garbage collection factors in the cost of uncollectible accounts when billing you each month. easily done by the private sector.
Update 2: There are already private individuals that you can hire for for legal arbitration and mediation. Wouldn't be that much of a stretch to privatize much of the court system. The Fed is privatized. They have never been a government agency. With the ease of communication and the internet, the CDC could be... show more There are already private individuals that you can hire for for legal arbitration and mediation. Wouldn't be that much of a stretch to privatize much of the court system.

The Fed is privatized. They have never been a government agency.

With the ease of communication and the internet, the CDC could be privatized as well. They could charge hospitals for their services and it would be in the hospital's best interests to have the most up to date medical information.
Update 3: The government contracts private companies to build roads. Toll-ways do lend themselves to privatization and could be expanded to cover much of the highway system. Though I will admit city roads do not lend themselves to tolls as much. 9-1-1 is just a calling center. Most large companies either have a calling... show more The government contracts private companies to build roads. Toll-ways do lend themselves to privatization and could be expanded to cover much of the highway system. Though I will admit city roads do not lend themselves to tolls as much.

9-1-1 is just a calling center. Most large companies either have a calling center for customer service or they contract out to one. Check your phone bill, it's paid for there.
6 answers