what is double space??

what does it mean to double space your sentences??

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

skip lines.

i take it you have to write an essay on the computer.

well an easy way to double space without pressing enter all the time is

1.open your word program

2. press format on the toolbar

3. press paragraph

4. go to line spacing

5. scroll down to double

and it will change your spacing for you...just make sure you repeat the steps and change it back to single spacing before your next project.

• 1 decade ago

In Microsoft word so simply go to format - paragraph - spacing - line spacing - then choose "double" in the drop down menu. Double spacing an essay/work simply means you skip a line between every sentence. These gaps are usually intended for revisions to the writing.

• "G"
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

If you double space, you have done one of two things. Either you hit the ENTER key twice (putting two spaces between one line of text and the next line) or you set the paragraph up to automatically double space.

To set up a document to automatically double space (if you're using MS Word) right click and then select "Paragraph" from the available options. Then near the right-hand bottom pulldown menu, select double space. After that, everything you type will be double spaced.

• 1 decade ago

It means to press enter twice after each line. This that you are reading is in single spacing.

These sentences however, are in double spacing. In your

word program, click format, select paragraph, then under the

spacing box, scroll down to double. Click. It will format your

document for you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Is anyone on here old enough to remember "typewriters" ??? (At least "electronic" or "electric" typewriters?)

I learned to type on a manual typewriter -- no electricity to it, and it was "portable," insofar as it could be carried around from one desk to another one... But, the really old "manual" typewriters were very bulky and heavy...

Well, the electric and electronic typewriters would be double-spaced by either hitting the "return" key twice, or setting a little metal tab at the top of the typewriter to "double-space."

The manual typewriters had a lever that you would have to actually use your forearm to press and move from the right all the way back to the left in order to: 1) advance the page to the next line, and, 2) move the carriage to the far left to begin typing the next line. (Press the lever twice to double-space.)

I only wrote this reply because I read all the others, which all spoke of "setting 'word' to double-space," or "hitting 'enter' on the keyboard twice," and other references to the computer age that everybody appears to now be engrossed in lately..

This "old fogey" still lives in the 60s sometimes. Ah, I remember it well...

Source(s): Life, or something like it...
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In word, go to Format > Paragraph

Then click on the 'Line Spacing' drop-down box and select 'Double spaced'.

It's something like that. I'm doing this from memory so it's hard to tell.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you are typing on your computer you go to go to format and click and then hit paragraph then spacing and then go to double spacing ...it just means there is two spaces between your sentences.

• 1 decade ago

Most commonly used in Microsoft Word, or what other word processor you may use. It's just a tool that as said, Double spaces the lines. So just skipping lines. If you're writing it on lined paper, then just simply skip 2 lines in between.

• 1 decade ago

It means you leave a certain distance of space between the lines. To do this in microsoft word, click

-format (at the top)

-paragraph

-It will say "single" click this, and select the "double" option

• Darby
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

a blank line between each typed line

this is double spacing

You can set double spacing in "Format" if I remember right.

You could just do two hard returns (enter twice) at the end of

line, but then that gets pretty messed up if you make any

changes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.