Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

What is NATO?

can someone help me to find a site where theres a simple summary on NATO, i cant seem to find one thts perfect. thnxxx

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Eden*
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

NATO stands for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, a military alliance formed on April 4, 1949, when twelve countries signed the North Atlantic Treaty. The twelve original NATO countries are Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Great Britain, and the United States. Each member nation agreed to treat attacks on any other member nation as if it were an attack on itself. Any aggressor would have to face the twelve-nation alliance. This was NATO's policy of deterrence, which was a way to discourage attacks by the Soviet Union or other Eastern bloc countries (Communist countries in Eastern Europe). NATO provided the additional benefit of discouraging fighting among the member nations.

Greece and Turkey joined NATO in 1952, followed by West Germany in 1955 and then Spain in 1982.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

The U.S., a NATO country, was attacked by forces trained in Afghanistan on 9-11-01. The NATO defense clause went into effect. There was even NATO AWACS aircraft flying around the U.S. Not every NATO country is in Afghanistan and not all have been assigned to actually fighting the Taliban. The SEATO (South East Asian Treaty Organization) clause went into effect too and that's why there are Japanese and Australians in Afganistan. I don't know if CENTO (middle Eastern Allies) and the OAS (the Americas) clauses went into effect. They probably did, but were probably tamed down.

• 1 decade ago

NATO stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization. It is a military alliance, established by the signing of the North Atlantic Treaty on 4 April 1949. With headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, the organization established a system of collective defence whereby its member states agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by any external party.

Don't forget to check out the link below as well.

• 1 decade ago

This is the official site of NATO, looks pretty good to me

click on what is NATO on left side of screen

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.