What kind of questions can be formed with Schadenfreude?

Are there related words such as schadenfreudic?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In his memoirs, Inside the Third Reich, Albert Speer described Adolf Hitler's sense of humor as almost entirely based upon schadenfreude. Some examples were mean-spirited jokes played on ministers such as Joachim von Ribbentrop, many initiated by Hitler or his friends.

"Schadenfreude" is the title of a song in the 2004 Tony Award-winning musical Avenue Q, sung by characters Gary Coleman and Nicky. The song features the line: "Happiness at the misfortune of others? That is German!"'

Schadenfreude is described as both: "Happiness at the misfortune of others" and "People taking pleasure in your pain".

"Schadenfreude" is the title of a Boston Legal episode wherein character Alan Shore (James Spader) uses the term in explaining why some defendants are convicted of an unrelated crime after having engaged in culturally unacceptable or possibly illegal activities.

Schadenfreude is referred to in The West Wing by White House Press Secretary C. J. Cregg (Allison Janney). Cregg notes that after an important member of the White House staff, and a friend of hers, made a big political mistake, Washington insiders will be enjoying schadenfreude. When an assistant asks the definition of the word, Cregg responds "Schadenfreude: taking joy in the suffering of others. You know, the whole rationale behind the House of Representatives."

Schadenfreude is referred to in the Malcolm in the Middle (TV series) episode "High School Play" (2000) by Krelboyne Lloyd (Evan Matthew Cohen). Malcolm (Frankie Muniz) abandons the Krelboynes to play the role of Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream and has forgotten all of his lines. Lloyd comments, "Normally, I would enjoy the schadenfreude, but this is just sad."

Schadenfreude also is referred to in the Simpsons episode "When Flanders Failed." Lisa accuses Homer of feeling schadenfreude when Homer gloats about Ned Flanders being on the verge of bankruptcy. Lisa asks Homer, "Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?", to which Homer replies in a sarcastic tone, "No, I do not know what Schadenfreude is. Please tell me because I'm dying to know." Lisa then explains "It's a German word for shameful joy, taking pleasure in the suffering of others." Homer responds with "Oh, come on, Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt! He's usually all happy and comfortable, and surrounded by loved ones, and it makes me feel...what's the opposite of that shameful joy thing of yours?" "Sour grapes." "Boy, those Germans have a word for everything."

Schadenfreude is referred to in Cantor's Dilemma (ISBN 0-14-014359-9), a 1991 novel by Carl Djerassi, inventor of the combined oral contraceptive pill. The protagonist, Professor I. C. Cantor, has a lengthy discussion with his romantic interest, Ms. Paula Curry, about the word in the context of the joy that competing scientists feel when the other has been publicly discredited. The novel is intended as a semi-realistic account of the politics and ethics behind major scientific discoveries.

Ben Affleck cited schadenfreude as a contributing factor for the scathing critical response to the film Gigli, in which he starred alongside then-fiancée Jennifer Lopez.[citation needed]

In the TV show Two and a Half Men episode "Bad News From the Clinic", Rose refers to her feelings of Schadenfreude and later tries to invent a word -- Glauckenstück -- to mean "feeling deep remorse for having felt Schadenfreude."

In the science fiction novel StarCraft: Liberty's Crusade, the character Michael Liberty explains that the rebels (and himself) had schadenfreude "in buckets" when the Terran Confederacy was falling.

The popular legal blog AboveTheLaw.com has used the term "Skaddenfreude" (a portmanteau, combining the term "schadenfreude" with the name of prominent New York-based law firm Skadden Arps) as a label for the events surrounding the largely unanticipated decision by many of the nation's top-tier law firms to raise associate pay in 2007.

In Radio Free Roscoe Travis Strong decides what he's going to use as a Topic and decides to use Schadenfreude, then Ray asks what it is and Travis replies "It's the joy taken out of other people's misfortunes."

In Sabin Willett's novel Present Value, the name of psychiatrist Dr. Schadenfrau is a portmanteau of schadenfreude and frau (German for "woman") -- effectively capturing the characterization of the doctor as a woman who takes private pleasure in hearing about the personal woes of her patients.

In the '90s BBC program Ballykissangel episode "Someone to Watch Over Me", the local school teacher Brendan is referred to as being schadenfreude, when he is pleased that a local school is being shut down due to asbestos, ensuring his employment for at least a few more months.

"Schadenfreude" is the title of a song by the British folk metal band Skyclad. It is featured on their third full length album Jonah's Ark.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.