Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Mid range-Expensive Knife Brands?

Hello,

I would like to get my mom a set of knives however I was wondering what brand makes good set of high quality knives that last? Any pro cooks out there help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brett

Favorite Answer

Shun makes very good knives. Don't buy the one sided blades though, they are extremely sharp and if you don't know how to use them they will pull and cut you. These knives are beautiful and extremely comfortable. (If you're right handed, I think they make left handed handles but I'm not sure)

Globals look pretty but they hurt my hands if I'm doing a lot of knife work.

MACs are really good and less expensive than Shun. These are really easy to keep sharp.

If your mom is going to use these knives, and not just show them off in a block I wouldn't recommend buying a whole set. They put too much crap in those people never use.

You need:

A chef's knife, (seems like shorter people like shorter knives and taller people like longer, heavier chef's knives)

A utility knife, (I'd get a MAC santoku, really great little knife)

A boning knife, (Forchsner makes the best)

A bread knife,

And a paring knife.

In the kitchen I really don't use much else, besides a cleaver for chopping bones and a scimitar for big fish, I doubt your mom would need those. Maybe a cake knife if she does a lot of baking.

• Freke

My mom has had a set of Wustof Classic for the past 15 years and has abused the crap out of them. And with the occasional sharpening, they've done very well for her.

As a professional cook, I have two separate sets of knives, the ones I use everyday, and the ones I keep sharp all the time, and don't get banged around everyday. The ones I use everyday are the ones that I got from cooking school, the whole set, including a whole set of baking tools-which probably cost about half-and the total was about 300 dollars. I have no idea what the brand is.

My good set, including Pablo (my 10 inch Chef's knife) was a present from my parents, and consists of a small paring knife, a boning knife, the 10 inch chef's knife, a utility knife, and a bread/serrated knife. This is my Wustof Classic set, and I take immaculate care of them. They ended up costing about 450 dollars.

I would get her these basics:

Chef's knife-probably 8 inches

paring knife-3 1/2 inches

bread/serrated knife- 8-10 inches

Those will cover just about everything she might need. Now the boning and utility knifes are very nice to have, but not really necessary.

I have to tell you, on my wish list for Christmas is a Wustof Classic Santoku with hollow ground ovals, which runs about $90. That is just icing on the cake for my set.

Don't get me wrong though, my Wusthofs have been used and abused, and I would like to make them last forever, so that's why I use my cheaper set on a day to day basis.

Oh! I almost forgot kitchen shears, I have a Wusthof pair and they're used everyday, because they weren't nearly as expensive as the knives. But they are still fantastic.

Anyway, I love Wusthofs, but Henckels and Globals are pretty awesome too. I would say that they will all last at least one lifetime with some decent TLC.

Good luck, I hope this helped a little!!

Source(s): Williams Sonoma is pretty expensive but worth looking at: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cut/index.cfm?...

Well I do not know what "mid range" means to you?

So I would say if you can afford it get the Shun. This is a Japanese company and they used to make Samari swords. This really is one of the best knives on the market and if taken care of properly (use your steal, keep it clean etc.) it can last you a life time. Just use a steal after each use and you only need professional sharpening twice a year. (With heavy use no less!). Talk about a long lasting edge! Do NOT try and sharpen a knife of this cilber on your own. You run too much of a risk of screwing it up. Just use your steal and find a trusted professional to sharpen it every 6 months.

After Shun there is Global which is also a very good knife (and slightly less money). This one needs professional sharpening about every 4 months or so.

Also, in the same price range there are Wusthoff and J.A. Henckals which are German which are also very good. However, with these you have to be careful because they make "mass market" versions of their knives which are crap! Don't buy any knife from Target etc. because they are cheap and it shows! lol!

Spend the money and get a Shun even if it means buying fewer kinves because the Shun is the best and the edge is very sharp and long lasting.

What Paul said and then some. Keep in mind, fi you only use your knives for home cooking, you'll have them for the next 30 - 40 years. Amortize the cost of a knife over that long a period and it's pennies per day. In most cases the quality of a knife is in direct proportion to it's cost. And, after 35 years on my knives, I've finally started to replace them. As an example, I just spent $140.00 on a 7" knife knowing that it will remain sharp longer. It will take a little bit longer to sharpen it, but it's worth it to be able to chop a whole day and not have to bother with sharpening a knife. Now, I don't suggest that a home cook needs to spend that much on a single knife, but $80 to $100.00 gets you real quality, and try not to be swayed by brand names who's popularity is a result of great advertising. I've also got one 4" paring knife that I spent $40.00 for , and it's a gem. You talk about buying a set. You probably won't use all of the knives in a set. And, some will be replacing good, working knives you already have. I would purchase single knives beginning with a 7" Santoku or a 10" - 12" Chef's knife, then a good paring knife, Fillet knife, then a bread knife. Buy them one at a time, and don't worry that you don't have a "set". I hope this helps.

Two of my favorites:

Henckels 4 star, 5 star, and Pro-S

Wusthof Classic

Don't buy in a big retail store. Amazon has good prices, and sometimes you can get great deals on ebay. Be careful getting a cheap deal on knives from a good brand. Most of them have less expensive lines and the knives are not as high quality.

A knife set is a good gift. I got my mom a set and bought her additional knives for christmas and birthday for a couple years. Now, her set of knives is better than mine!

I LOVE my Wusthof's !!!

I've used Henkel's... ok. To me they need more sharpening then Wusthof's.

NEVER buy from Cutco...hate them.

I don't know what your price range is but these we are suggesting are expensive. You may want to try a dept. store (ie: Linen's N Things, Macy's, JcPenny etc...) maybe you can go w/ Emerel Lagasse or Rachel Ray's kitchen items. I'm sure they're good since they use them.

I would go onto Amazon.com, look up knives, don't buy them yet just scroll down and look for comments on the knives.

Source(s): me, I love to cook.

I am sure not a professional, and most may think I'm off my rocker,but I have been using a set of Chicago Cutlery for fifty years now. I like buying things that are made here in the good old U.S.A.

I like Global and Wustoff, Cutco also has nice knives. You may consider just getting her a nice chef's knife, paring knife and bread knife-those are really all most people need and use.

• monket

i got a nice set of Henckles about 7 years ago. love em, and they aren't too expensive

vitrinox make great knives as do global.