Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Muslims, please help me. Sincere question?

I am confused about the terms haram, harram, haraam, and harām.

I read that one is a holy place, one is unlawful and the others I could not find.

How do you distinguish the terms in English?

Does everyone agree?

Favorite Answer

My dear brother,

The Arabic language has two separate words, حرم Haram and حرام Harām, both derived from the same triliteral Semitic root H-R-M. Both of these words can mean "forbidden" and/or "sacred" in a general way, but each has also developed some specialized meanings.

So Haram Means a sacred place, as mention in chapters in the Quran such as Ibrahim, when the Prophet Abraham leaves his child and Hagar in the desert he uses the Term "Bai-Tikal Muharam" which means your sacred place of worship:

[14:37]

Our Lord! Lo! I have settled some of my posterity in an uncultivable valley near unto Thy holy place of worship( Baitikal Mu[Haram]), our Lord! that they may establish proper worship; so incline some hearts of men that they may yearn toward them, and provide Thou them with fruits in order that they may be thankful.

Harām means Forbidden, Unlawful, the line on top of the ''ā'' stresses the letter so it may be read like two "a's" so it can also be written as Haraam, You may find that in the chapter such as Baqarah and all through the Quran

I hope that helps, i have gone through the same thing you are experiencing today brother have patience and i would advise you to find a arabic tutor so that this kind of difficult may not find you again

Peace be unto you brother

Remember that Arabic language has no vowels. It has a system of codification ( Tashkeel) above and bellow the letters to read them correctly. That's what makes the Arabic text beautiful as if it's a work of art :-) Now, the wrong tashkeel on one of the letters can change the entire meaning of the word.

Haraam means forbidden Coded by echedda above the R

Harem means Holly place Coded by Al Fetha above the R

Hareem means women. Coded by Al Kasra bellow the R

Harram (evil, sin,harmful,) Halal (Good)

mark1011....one word for you dude..islamophobia.

the guys is just looking for the meanings of the words man.

I am not Muslim.... but Have DONE Extensiver Research in their Religion!

Perhaps these sites will HELP.... in your Understanding!

www.islam-watch.com

www.islaam.com,

www.islamqa.com

Thanks for Asking! RR