Ozzyzzyzz asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Why didnt the Sonics draft Yi Jianlian instead of Green?

i think they should have gone with Yi Jianlian, because to me, jeff green is just a role player while Yi is a potential franchise player, not to mention he would boost the sonics economy because there is a large asian population in washington and Yi will do for seattle what Yao did for houston, which is bring in the growing chinese economy.

So why draft Green, am i missing something?

Update:

Ryan,so, do you think the Seatlle management is making the right decisions?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • DMAN
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Because Yi Jianlian probably will make a fuss about not being the franchise star.

• 1 decade ago

1st, why are so many dumb people answering? The first few are smart and have real reason, but some of you need points to bad and waste our space.

I think SEA didn't take Yi for the same reason you said. They don't want another franchise player. Durant is there and Green will be a great teammate and they'll match on the floor well. Plus, the Sonics know they're rebuilding and with Yi & Durant would have had expectations for this season set to high. Right now, we're going to give the couple years to be good and pick up some more young talent. I think Durant might be able to pull them into the playoffs nest year, but it will just be a 1st round lost. In three years Sea, Chi, Tor and MN will be the teams to beat in the NBA

• 1 decade ago

Yi has the potential to be a franchise player...when he gets stronger and in the west he would get destroyed. With Green The sonics can use there youth and speed. Durant at the two and Green at the three. Yi is not a good fit for the offense either. He will be good in a half court game, not in an up and down game.

• Thomas
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yi has potential to be a franchise player in the future. The Sonics saw more talent in Green soon. Green has played well against good competition compare to Yi. They didn't want to take a huge gamble on paying potential.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Just because he's Asian & 7" doesn't make him Yao!! Sh#t! Yao not even that good, he's an over grown small forward. Yi's never going to be close to a franchise player, Check the media, watch the pre-season games he inconsistant, check the last game against The Jazz!!!8 turnovers!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

U GUYS 4GOT? just to remind you, the sonics got green in a trade that sent ray allen to the celtics, so the got jeff green back along with a couple other guys. the celtics couldnt draft yi because he was gone by then. if u dont believe me check out da nba trade deadline, and draft order things.

Source(s): brain, watchin the draft and trades
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why did the sonics trade ray allen and glen davis in the first place they would have been a pretty good team this year if they didnt get rid of those two. I mean glen davis the 2 time sec player of the year on the inside and ray allen a multiple all-star controlling the outside. You put that with durant's complete offensive game and you would of had a playoff team this year. Example of what the sonics lineup should be:

PG: Luke Rindour

SG: Ray Allen

SF: Kevin Durant

PF: Glen Davis

C: Kurt Thomas

Not a bad starting lineup in my opinion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yi is weak he weighs like 200 lbs soaking wet he will not be a franchise player anytime soon and green is a savage he is big strong and aggressive who will avg like 10pts and 10 rebounds a game for a long time

• Matt
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

i don't know. they might not have had a need for Yi.

• 1 decade ago

they didn't draft green, he was traded along with sum other things for ray allen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.