What are some of the top engineering schools?

Right nnow I am thinking about Rose Hulman insitute of technology and Purdue. Are they good schools?

Favorite Answer

M.I.T. used to be top dog. Might still be.

CalTech? Actually pretty much all the "Techs" are at least fair to decent. Most are good to excellant since they know their focus {see below}.

Purdue is good.

Many state schools have engineering departments... basically schools within the school... that are top drawer. However to graduate you'll have to put up with a lot of fluffy bunny courses.

(Keep in mind, to most liberal arts colleges that allow department heads to vote on overall policy, the handful of department heads that the engineering schools or hard science schools get or can make are outvoted by the fifteen PLUS department heads each fruity humanitarian/social science department can make up. Liberal arts schools... where everyone is equal, some departments are just more equal then others. At my school, there were 3 engineering school heads, 8 science heads, 4 buisness heads, 2 math heads, 2 english heads, and TWENTY EIGHT heads of social sciences, humanities, etc. Who do you think go to write the schools policies?)

Purdue is Solid. Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Renneslar Polytechnic, Carnegie Melon, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Texas, MIT, NJIT, UC Berkley, Cal Poly, ASU, U of A...there are many. Try to consider other criteria as well: how far from home do you want to be, what kind of climate, what kind of engineering (if you know)... Try something with small class sizes - usually good indicator, how big is the campus - is it a collegetown or in the middle of a city? Make sure you are happy and otherwise stimulated, and you can pare down your choices from there.

I would choose Purdue over Rose Hulman because it is more well known and a LOT cheaper. It's also a better school.

• ZORCH

U.C. Berkeley, Stanford, M.I.T., U.C. Davis. Purdue is very good for Civil Engineering.

• Dinah

Tops have always been M.I.T. and Georgia Tech. Don't know about Hulman and Perdue.

Cal State University Northridge, Cal State Poly Pomona.