Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Why is everyone against pet monkeys?

I read that they are "very smelly" "nasty" "messy" etc.

Well that is very wrong. We've had a pet Capuchin Monkey named Pippy for I'd say close to 3 years now... He doesn't smell much at all.. we give his area's a lot of attention... he doesn't wreck anything. and he is the friendliest little guy in the world!

They do require loads of attention though.

And by no means is it "cruel." He loves it with us...

He is constantly stealing our attention!

Is everyone against monkeys as pets because they can't have one?

thats what i think.

the only real negative reason of getting him was the price.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Keeping a non-human primate as a pet is a serious undertaking, and requires a fair bit of expense and has many attendant risks.

The Problem With Pet Monkeys

From Lianne McLeod,

Your Guide to Exotic Pets.

Reasons Monkeys Do Not Make Good Pets

There is something irresistible about an infant monkey - they appear so sweet and helpless, and seem so much like a human infant in many ways. However, those sweet babies grow up into difficult adults, and as a general rule adult monkeys do not make good pets. Their intelligence makes them special, but ultimately makes them a very challenging pet.

Commitment

Taking on a pet monkey is a long term commitment. A well cared for monkey can live anywhere from 20-40 years, and needs your full commitment throughout their lives. A pet monkey cannot do without your attention when life gets busy or circumstances change.

Monkeys may not take well to new people in your life (including spouses and children), and make it hard to get away for vacations. Finding a new home for a pet monkey is extremely difficult, and very hard on the monkey which has bonded to its first owner.

Monkeys are expensive to house and feed, and some require specialized diets that can be time consuming to prepare. A significant commitment of time is needed just for routine care and cleaning up after a pet monkey, but more importantly a monkey needs a large amount of social interaction and attention from the owner. A pet monkey deprived of your time and attention will only develop severe behavior problems and psychological issues.

Legal Issues

Monkeys may be illegal to keep as pets in some areas. Check locally as well as state or province wide. If legal, permits may be required, and sometimes permit holders are subject to inspection for proper facilities and care.

Medical Issues

A wide range of diseases can be passed from monkeys to humans. See "Zoonoses Acquired from Pet Primates" by David M. Renquist, D.V.M., M.A. and Robert A. Whitney, Jr., D.V.M., M.S. for a thorough discussion of this aspect.

Finding a vet who is able and willing to treat a primate may also be difficult. Monkeys are also susceptible to a variety of illnesses of humans, which can be devastating for the monkey.

Aggression

The sweet dependent baby monkey will eventually grow up, and become the wild animal it was meant to be.

Unfortunately, raising a monkey around humans doesn't change the wild nature of monkey, and in fact depriving a pet monkey of normal social relationships with other monkeys can create behavior problems and neuroses.

Pet monkeys also have a tendency to bite. They have different personalities so one cannot generalize, but some monkeys will be very aggressive, and others will be more docile. Nevertheless, monkeys are unpredictable and may turn aggressively on anyone, including the person to whom they are the closest.

The Mess

Monkeys are messy. They can't really be effectively toilet trained (many younger monkeys can be diapered or at least partly toilet trained, but that is often lost at maturity) and sometimes engage in distasteful activities involving their feces and urine.

Aside from the toileting messes, pet monkeys can be extremely mischievous and destructive, especially if bored.

Housing

Monkeys need a large secure enclosure and should spend time outdoors too if possible. They must be provided with a wide variety of ever changing toys and exercise equipment to keep them challenged and stimulated, or they will suffer from boredom.

©2007 About.com, Inc., a part of The New York Times Company. All rights reserved.

Aside from the above, if you have to have a primate for a pet, a chimpanzee is closest to a human child in temperment and are usually easier to raise. Next best are the capuchins, which are the traditional "organ grinder's monkey", but require much more care and attention. Both are considered to be fairly easy to teach to do tricks. It is highly recommended you contact someone in the movie industry or a local zoo, and ask them for tips on raising these most challenging pets.

Another site, with dramatic photo examples of what a non-human primate can do to make your life miserable:

http://www.aesop-project.org/Private_Sector.htm

And, one more, just so you are informed about the risks you take in keeping a non-human primate as a pet:

"Use of a monkey or ape as a pet should be strongly discouraged. Although a current owner may be difficult to convince, a person considering such a pet can generally be dissuaded. Most owners lack the knowledge, devotion, and ambition necessary to prevent disease transmission and maintain the health and welfare of the primate. Owners usually obtain the primate as a curiosity or whim but lose interest rapidly as the problems of puberty, nutrition, sanitation, and unpleasant habits appear. In addition, the disease hazards to be discussed here far outweigh any advantages of keeping the 'cute little monkey.' "

http://pin.primate.wisc.edu/aboutp/pets/zoonoses.h...

Other considerations notwithstanding, if you have the patience and the financial stability to raise them properly, they can be a very rewarding pet. On that note, here is a useful site you can study so you can give your pet capuchin the best possible life:

http://www.monkeyzone.com/valleyexp.htm

The following is a fun site and offers an opportunity to chat with other monkey owners. It could be the easiest way to get information when you need it; and a place to share your experiences with other afficianados.

http://www.monkeymaddness.com/

Also, here's a couple books that you will want in your collection if you're serious about your capuchin, one shows you how you can train it as a helper for handicapped people:

http://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Up-Ziggy-Lessons-He...

http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Jobs-Capuchin-Monkey...

Final note: start looking for a veteranarian who can work with primates so you don't have to waste time if an emergency comes up. If you have trouble finding one, check out the nearest zoo and ask if they can treat your pet, or recommend a good vet in your area. This is the most important thing you can do to assure your pet of a long, happy, healthy life. And remember, these pets are intelligent and require lots of interesting things to do; otherwise, they get bored. And a bored monkey is a whole lot of trouble.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have only had him 3 years. I hope you will still feel that way when he is 25 years old.

I'm not against people owning monkeys but many people don't stop and consider the long term responsibility of caring for a long lived animal.

• 1 decade ago

I don't want a monkey, but if others want one so be it. I don't think people are jealous that you have a monkey, they are just not a popular pet. Just like some people might not want a snake, while others own them and love them very much. It's just a matter of personal preferance.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would love to have a monkey but i think they are too expensive, that doesn't mean i hate them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ==cj==
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

how much was he?? just curious. my aunt always wanted one, i guess as a substitute child, that would be for the wrong reason though. i'm glad you take care of your pet.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it's an exotic animal, and most people are not responsible enough to raise one. i'm glad that you take care of it, but a lot of people don't.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.