Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Example: Why are Breast feeding mommies so mean OR Why are Formula feed mommies so rude.?

Why do i keep reading the same questions back and forth from BOTH sides of mothers. Example: Why are Breast feeding mommies so mean OR Why are Formula feed mommies so rude. Its actually annoying, Since when do we caterorigize women? We are ALL mommies no matter what our decisions in our home may be. I think we should be concentrating on asking and answering questions that actually can benifit US as WOMEN and MOTHERS. So why is it we are all against each other? We all make decisions we think are best for our children, we all love our children deeply and would do anything for them, Shouldnt we worry about how much we have in common instead of what we dont?

Favorite Answer

People with a strong view on the subject can be VERY rude/mean without necessarily meaning to be. They are just trying to get their points across. Its also a bad case of the "I'm right and you're wrong" syndrome. If you don't see their point of view, you are ignorant, uneducated or a 'bad mother'. That seems to come from both sides of the fence. Breast feeding mothers do it just as often as formula feeding mothers. Generally speaking, that is. My argument? There are mothers out there that abuse, neglect and abandon their children. Those children don't get fed at all! Shouldn't we feel more passionately about that?! There are much more important things to "argue" about in this world. Just my opinion! I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for posting the question!

Great questions! Awhile back I posted a question about why people choose to breast- or bottle-feed, and people got downright nasty just because I said that personally I was *planning* to nurse but was still interested in at least knowing about formula (in case I couldn't for some reason). Instead I got ll sorts of you-don't-know-me-so-why-do-you-judge and you-think-you're-so-perfect. I didn't judge, I just asked. And yeah, people were passionate on either side. It was hard to choose a best answer because there was no one really neutral on it.

I'm afraid there's no real middle ground. It's a topic almost as fraught as politics!

I understand what you are saying. Breast feeding vs. Bottle feeding is a hot topic that many people feel strongly about. I plan to breast feed but I have a friend that never intended to and always planned to bottle feed. I don't understand her reasoning but it's her decision to make and none of my business. She takes care of her son. What drives me crazy is the people that are so against one or the other. My mom is extremely anti bottle feeding and thinks it should be considered child abuse. She hates to see a bottle fed baby. I have had co-workers that say "well I hope you don't plan to breast feed in public" actually I do, in a modest way of course. I have a co-worker that says she can't even eat if there is a woman breast feeding in a restaurant. For gods sake, either way the baby is eating. Bottle fed or breast fed the baby is not being neglected, it's being fed. I refuse to feed my baby in a bathroom stall and I don't care if someone else chooses to bottle feed. To each his/her own.

Source(s): 17wks pregnant

I totally agree! I know I can come across pretty severe sometimes, but that's ONLY after someone make sa rude comment first. It's SO easy to set me off! I REALLY wish it would stop and we wouldn't even discuss it anymore in such a 'war-like' way. Formula mommies KNOW the benefits of breastfeeding, and breastfeeders need to realize their minds won't be changed even after all the drilling they give them. I get crap from BOTH sides necause I bottle-feed after I pump sometimes. It's ridiculous...

I had NO idea how much of a feud this was till I had my little girl.

I never have understood the big "feud" between breastfeeding and bottlefeeding mothers. I think its a little stupid, people can make their own decisions. I breastfed and bottlfeed now so does that make me a bad person, no my son is still healthy and happy. People should just stop looking for reasons to argue....

I dont get it either. As long as a woman is feeding her child and taking care of him/her it shouldnt matter either way.

i agree with you. I do want to breastfeed but i try not to push my beliefs on other mothers who formula feed their babies. it is our choice on what to give to their children.

i agree.

same goes for sahm vs working moms.

we're all doing our best, and (hopefully) we've considered all possibilities and chosen what will work best for our families.

we should support each other in our decisions & not criticise so much.

Ron Paul

• I see it like this: Milk is Milk and as long as the baby is getting fed who cares where it came from?

People that breastfeed to act as though they are better than people that bottlefed.

I bottlefed and my son is smart & healthy.