Is it a good idea to try to save money by selling your own home, or is the risk too high?

i live in an affluent suburb, and am considering selling my own home which i think will be a fairly marketable piece of property (rather than going through an agency and paying the brokerage fee). good idea? bad idea? with some decent marketing savvy/investment and a good real estate attorney can i save myself the... show more i live in an affluent suburb, and am considering selling my own home which i think will be a fairly marketable piece of property (rather than going through an agency and paying the brokerage fee). good idea? bad idea? with some decent marketing savvy/investment and a good real estate attorney can i save myself the 6%? are there any potential negative ramifications (e.g. from the real estate agency community)?