promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is Chicken fighting legal in the United States?

I've always heard it was illegal. Someone recently told a relative that it's legal in Louisiana and in the Phillipines. I've never given it any thought, so I don't have enough knowledge about it to have an opinion, but if it's leagal anywhere in the US I'm surprised that PETA and the national media haven't made it an issue with the recent dog fighting news. (I understand dog fighting is against Federal law?) So, is chicken / cock fighting legal anywhere in the US?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In the United States cockfighting is illegal in Washington, D.C. and all states but Louisiana. On June 27, 2007, the Louisiana legislature voted to ban cockfighting in the state. A spokeswoman for Governor Kathleen Blanco says, pending a thorough review of the bill, the governor intends to sign it into law. The ban will take effect in August 2008 [7]. It is legal in the United States Territories of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Guam. Thirty-three states and the District of Columbia have made cockfighting a felony however, in most places, it is legal to possess roosters. It is illegal in 40 states and D.C. to be a spectator at cockfights

Source(s): wikipedia.org
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • bory
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Chicken Fighting Laws

• njgop12 years agoReport

ALL animal fighting’s illegal in all 50 States. I don’t want to hear I ‘m a bleeding heart Lib as I’m to the right of my staunch Conservative family. This is the bill George W. Bush signed into law on May 2007 H.R.137 - Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act of 2007
      110th Congress (2007-2008)

• 1 decade ago

PETA focuses on the important things - like terrifiying kids, throwing blood on fake fur coats, and running around naked.

My home state is the only place it's legal in the US, but they are wanting to chage that real soon. They're gonna have a fight on their hands, because I know quite a few people that have made threating remarks because they make a lot of money on it. Personally, I think chicken fighting is wrong. Dog fighting is illegal in all the US.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes definitely it is legal. What you mean is cock fighting. I am surprised you used the word chicken fighting. The word chicken is use only in food or restaurant business not in these terms as chicken fighting.

These shouldn't be compared to dog fighting since the style of dogs are more violent and vulgar compared to cocks in wider range of things.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's illegal in the United States. I don't know about the Philippines. ANY kind of animal fighting is illegal in the United States.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Watching animals hurt other animals and humans hurting other humans is unetical and morally unaccepttable in every counrty in the world. Just becuase you live in a third world country causing cruelty and pain to others (whether animals or people) is morally reprehensible. Adding or taking gambling away from any such picture still makes it anti-human.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. It's animal cruelty, just as dog fighting. And I won't go on to what I think should happen to anyone involved in these nasty "sports".......

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Totally illegal look what happened to M-Vick. it is barbaric.

• 1 decade ago

almost any animal fights is illegal.

• 1 decade ago

No its NOT!

That's cruelty to Animals!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.