Is Chicken fighting legal in the United States?

I've always heard it was illegal. Someone recently told a relative that it's legal in Louisiana and in the Phillipines. I've never given it any thought, so I don't have enough knowledge about it to have an opinion, but if it's leagal anywhere in the US I'm surprised that PETA and the national media haven't made it an issue with the recent dog fighting news. (I understand dog fighting is against Federal law?) So, is chicken / cock fighting legal anywhere in the US?

Favorite Answer

In the United States cockfighting is illegal in Washington, D.C. and all states but Louisiana. On June 27, 2007, the Louisiana legislature voted to ban cockfighting in the state. A spokeswoman for Governor Kathleen Blanco says, pending a thorough review of the bill, the governor intends to sign it into law. The ban will take effect in August 2008 [7]. It is legal in the United States Territories of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Guam. Thirty-three states and the District of Columbia have made cockfighting a felony however, in most places, it is legal to possess roosters. It is illegal in 40 states and D.C. to be a spectator at cockfights

Source(s): wikipedia.org
  • bory

Chicken Fighting Laws

• njgop12 years agoReport

ALL animal fighting’s illegal in all 50 States. I don’t want to hear I ‘m a bleeding heart Lib as I’m to the right of my staunch Conservative family. This is the bill George W. Bush signed into law on May 2007 H.R.137 - Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act of 2007
      110th Congress (2007-2008)

PETA focuses on the important things - like terrifiying kids, throwing blood on fake fur coats, and running around naked.

My home state is the only place it's legal in the US, but they are wanting to chage that real soon. They're gonna have a fight on their hands, because I know quite a few people that have made threating remarks because they make a lot of money on it. Personally, I think chicken fighting is wrong. Dog fighting is illegal in all the US.

Yes definitely it is legal. What you mean is cock fighting. I am surprised you used the word chicken fighting. The word chicken is use only in food or restaurant business not in these terms as chicken fighting.

These shouldn't be compared to dog fighting since the style of dogs are more violent and vulgar compared to cocks in wider range of things.

It's illegal in the United States. I don't know about the Philippines. ANY kind of animal fighting is illegal in the United States.

Watching animals hurt other animals and humans hurting other humans is unetical and morally unaccepttable in every counrty in the world. Just becuase you live in a third world country causing cruelty and pain to others (whether animals or people) is morally reprehensible. Adding or taking gambling away from any such picture still makes it anti-human.

No. It's animal cruelty, just as dog fighting. And I won't go on to what I think should happen to anyone involved in these nasty "sports".......

Totally illegal look what happened to M-Vick. it is barbaric.

almost any animal fights is illegal.

No its NOT!

That's cruelty to Animals!