what is a closed ecosystem?

i need background information on closed ecosystems...doing a lab report on closed jars

and hey NO BODY TAKE THESE ANSWERS THEIR MINE!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Closed ecological systems (CES) are ecosystems that do not rely on matter exchange with any part outside the system.

Although the Earth itself fits this definition, the term is most often used to describe much smaller manmade ecosystems. Such systems are scientifically interesting and can potentially serve as a life support system during space flights, in space stations or space habitats, or in submarines.

In a closed ecological system, any waste products produced by one species must be used by at least one other species. If the purpose is to maintain a higher life form, such as a mouse or a human, waste products such as carbon dioxide, faeces and urine must eventually be converted into oxygen, food, and water.

A closed ecological system must contain at least one autotrophic organism. While both chemotrophic and phototrophic organisms are plausible, almost all closed ecological systems to date are based on a phototroph such as green algae.

Major (large-scale) closed ecological systems include Biosphere 2, MELISSA, and the BIOS-1, BIOS-2, and BIOS-3 projects.

An ecosphere is a glass enclosed, self-contained and self-sustaining closed ecosystem sold primarily as a gift or experiment. It can include tiny shrimp, algae, gravel, decorative shells, and gorgonia.

Source(s): wikipedia
  • 1 decade ago

Hi, cute avitar...

anyways, A closed Ecosystem is an ecosystem without any outside influences. Normally I would never tell anyone to watch a PAULY SHORE movie... but if you have seen the movie BIO-DOME... that is a closed eco-system.

In a sense... a truly CLOSED ecosystem does not exsist. Anything can potentially be affected by something outside the protective area. Even our earth has meteorites and other such debree from the cosmos that interact with our weather pattersin a minor way.

Hope that helps.

• 4 years ago

an ecosystem is a system consisting both abiotic(temp.,altitude,pressure)and biotic factors. when it does carry out any type of exchange of materials with other ecosystems than it of closed type.

• 1 decade ago

A terrarium. An aquarium. A biosphere. And the MIR space station.And also the living quarters at Antarctica where all the scientists live and work. Include space shuttles. I almost forgot a greenhouse too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

closed ecosystems are ecosystems that have no openings

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.