In the week between setting up a new network passphrase and actually getting the wireless router, I have...?

I have forgotten my network passphrase. I know, I know. How could I do that? Is there a way to activate the wireless network? I have already re-installed Windows Vista, but the same network and password are still there. What can I do?

Favorite Answer

It's not an issue with your operating system. The problem lies with the router...or more specifically, your ability to authenticate yourself to the router.

Somewhere on your router there should be a small, recessed button for resetting everything back to the original factory settings.

Press this button (you'll need a pencil or something like that because the button is small on purpose), and then reconfigure your computer's passphrase from scratch.

When you reset the router, the passphrase will not be required.

• Jag

The network pass phrase is primarily controlled on the wireless router. Doesn't really matter that you forgot the one on the computer.

Change the SSID and WPA2 passphrase on the router and create an entry on the computer(s) that matches what the router has on it.