Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

aquarium substrate...gravel or sand ????????????

Im not yet sure wether to go with coldwater orandas or tropical fish yet, but WHICH IS THE BEST SUBSTRATE TO USE AND WHICH LOOKS BEST EITHER SAND OR GRAVEL?????????????????........................ALSO IS IT TRUE THAT COLDWATER FISH LIKE ORANDAS AND CHINESE FANCY TAILS CAN TOLERATE TROPICAL TEMPERATURE???????????

Favorite Answer

gravel all the way its nice 2 look at and it comes in all different colours

Gravel is easier to clean, don't get coloured gravel as some of the dye comes of although it may not be toxic, it won't look as good as new. I have natural pea gravel http://www.aquariumpebbles.com/images/newpebblepic...

Because it is lightly coloured it reflects more light and it shows up the fishes colour more, also because they are about 3mm in size, they are excellent for holding plants down unlike larger sizes, they won't get stuck in fishes mouths.

Coldwater fish can tolerate tropical temperatures but they have different diets and needs. Tropical have a high protein diet which means it will cause more waste from the coldwater fish and they are alreay messy and coldwater fish need about 10 gallons/ 35 litres each so you would need a large tank for both.

Do some research on both types of fish and the nitrogen cycle.

• John

Hi, Either is good with a couple of points to bear in mind. Aquarium sand is excellent for the fish to grub around in but needs a little more care in cleaning than gravel.

Regarding the gravel it's best to use one of the many smooth, round 3mm types. This is because the rough, pea-sized gravels present a very real danger to the fish as they can get stuck in their mouths & choke them.

Goldfish are not 'Coldwater' fish in the respect they don't do well in icy water. Neither are they truly 'tropical' so it is not good to mix them with these types. An acceptable temperature range is anywhere between 69 to 78F ie 'room temperature'.

• ?

Gravel is best in all cases because sand will make the water cloudy. Some coldwater fish can tolerate a tropical temp but it will be a trial and error attempt.

• john e

For some plants sand is the better choice for the purpose of ease of cleaning gravel is a clear winner..

sometimes sand becomes 'clumpy' and sticks together,if your using a gravel siphon to clean with you often take a a bunch of your bottom with you each time you clean if sand is involved as it is lighter than gravel and has a tendency to go up the tube.

i would recommend a natural color choice as the fish show THEIR colors best on top of it.

while cold water fish like orandas can tolerate tropical temperatures it is not their preferred temp and as they shouldn't (but some people do) be mixed with tropicals due to dietary differences yuo should try for their natural temps.

good luck

I think that sand looks better but its a b!tch to clean, so I would go for gravel. And yes, I have heard of people putting coldwater fish in tropical temps and they were fine - just make sure you have space!

i use a gravel called moonstone, it is a smooth gravel and both my tropical and orandas love it and i know if the goldfish pick it up it won't scratch their mouths it comes in lots of colours and in a neutral colour so i am sure your local pet shop can get some, and as for the temp for orandas if you raise the temp they grow very quickly, i keep my orandas and goldfish at about 20 and they have been quite happy for the last 5 years. hope this helps you, i like both fish but if i had to have tropical of fancy goldfish i would choose the goldfish, i like the way their tails swish about. hope this helps you honey, best of luck.

I have had both sand and gravel in my tanks Sand looks nice and natural but its much harder to keep clean .

I use the natural looking Gravel in all my tanks and use a gravel cleaner to really clean deep down every few weeks

• Andia

Whichever you choose to get i would suggest using gravel - not only can you buy it in almost any colour to fit in with the rest of the room or the tank theme, it is also a LOT easier to clean.

And it might possibly be true that those fish can tolerate it, but i highly doubt it - its more likely to kill them

Source(s): Experience

I use really fine gravel - its kind of a cross between sand and gravel - but with the texture of sand. Its easy enough to clean and looks great in black and white

Id perfer gravel. Comes in a variety of colors. I personally like the black or natural (tan) colored gravel. But sand gives a more natural looking color. Either or. Choose which one you want. Sand is alot more harder to clean.