Mr_Canada asked in TravelCanadaCalgary · 1 decade ago

Why is Calgary so bloody boring?

I was just recently in Calgary, and wow, what a boring, boring city. There is absolutely no nightlife, no buzz, no nothing. The city centre empties into the suburbs at 6pm on Friday and is virtually dead till Monday morning. There's no history, no cool architecture, and absolutely no vibe in Calgary.

The people are friendly enough, but that's about it.

Seriously, I'm from friggin' Winnipeg and even we have a more interesting city.

I'll continue to visit Toronto and Montreal when I want to see a great city.

Favorite Answer

You obviously didn't ask where the nightlife is. oy

If you head 3 blocks south of the downtown core you would have found all the nightlife you could handle. From 12th Avenue to 17th Avenue there is a lot of nightlife. Every type of bar/nightclub, etc that you could ever want.

Bored In Calgary

Come to Ottawa !

It's about the same size at Calgary and there are good clubs and bars in the Market area or Elgin St. that are hopping at night and over the weekends.

There also national museums and the Parliment Buildings. If you come during the summer, there many music and cultural festivals. In winter, we have Winterleude and skating on the canal.

Admittedly, it's not as exciting as Toronto or Montreal. And, the thrill of being a tourist here will probably only last for three or four days, but I'm sure you'll have a great time while you are here. Pass by on your way to Montreal.

I moved to Calgary from Montreal 6 months ago. What a mistake! There's no vibe to the city. Nightlife is crappy. People are so arrogant. Downtown is so boring and weather is not so bad in the winter, but not so good in the summer. Lifeless soulless city. I need to relocate soon before I get depressed.

• i feel the exact same way. what a depressing place to live. i'm leaving in a few months. it's just awful here

Calgary is boring because everybody is working in boring industries. Calgary is all manual labour jobs like construction, warehousing, factories, heavy industry. Even the support work in the offices and retail is focused on the heavy industry. It's boring. When those type of workers have free time, all they can think of doing is drinking beer and listening to crappy music or going to see a hockey game. Or leaving town to go do something interesting.

There are hardly any artists or musicians in Calgary. Sure, it's a regional cultural centre, but that's because there's nothing else around there to compare it to. Red Deer? Edmonton? Butte? Moose Jaw? Come on.

There is too much work in Calgary for it to be an interesting place. You can't have both. The type of work there is not particularly conducive to creative minds.

The city is not designed to be interesting. All those one way streets, boring Stalinist buildings... downtown is full of petty drug dealers and crackheads. No wonder people only go there to get drunk at night, then go home to their wooden ranch houses 30 kilometers away.

Did you notice the grownups don't even go out at night? I mean people over the age of 25 or so. Only drunken kids who don't know any better find Calgary nightlife interesting.

Don't get me wrong, Calgary is good for some things, like work, and at least part of this country needs to do some hard work. Also, the people are friendly and the air is clean (compared to Toronto & Montreal). But if you want to have a good time, go where the people are not focused 100% on their jobs.

Source(s): Lived in Toronto, Ottawa and Calgary

Yeah the place is relatively new (nothing here until early 1870's), but it's got some history nonetheless. Not surprisingly, where the history and more interesting architecture are, that's where the nightlife is. 17th Ave south and Kensington (NW).

http://www.calgary-city-maps.com/internet-site-map...

Here's a small list of things to do.

• ross

No no person from calgary. ( even though it is ) if your bored basically pass play outdoors. perhaps you will meet a sturdy guy! that isn't make you like to come again on the pc while your bored and make each and every person else bored too!

I have visited your fair city of Winnipeg (I'm from Oklahoma) and I found it fascinating. It was February and the snow was piled high. I had never been in that kind of cold before. I have always wanted to go to Calgary, figuring it would be really beautiful too. My sister married a Canadian from Edmonton and they lived in Winnipeg for several years before moving to Topeka, Kansas where they have stayed. You want boring, move to the little town I live in in S.E. Okla.

• Shayna

I really dislike Calgary. The nightlife isn't downtown though. Most of it is along 17th Ave SW. There are much more interesting cities in Canada than Calgary.

Calgary is so boring because the City council refuses to get ideas from other world city's, they are to stupid to look across the boundary and the sad thing is after they screwed up the C-Train system they keep on screwing it up iv-en more.Most visitors call it the stop-sign city because the city is so money hungry so they put up stop-signs on every intersection to slow the traffic down and collect lots of extra money.Forget about nightlife there is none because the city bigwigs want to con troll every step you make.So my advise is if you want to to see how the people in the dark MIT-El age used to life in 15ten hundred come to Calgary.I can assure you,you will never come back.

Source(s): Living hiere vor 32 years watching toes idiots at cityhall scewing it up.