Physical Therapists...OHIO PT programs...My son is looking at colleges & universities in OHIO right now. BEST?

I am doing a little on-the-side research of my own to support my son's search for a physical therapy program IN THE STATE OF OHIO. I have five years of tuition set aside for him. What schools have the best programs and why. What schools are best and why (environment, campus, activities, ethics, food, housing, conveniences nearby, etc.) Also, are there university ?fraternities? organizations? for lack of a better description for these majors I should encourage him to engage in once he is accepted. He will enter college September, 2008. Thank you so much. P.S. If you see him, don't tell him I asked you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And anything else you care to add will be great. And if you are a PT or a hiring PT or HR person recruiting PTS...would love to hear from you too. What did you love about your school? What qualities do you look for when hiring a PT?

Favorite Answer

Ohio State, Ohio University and University of Toledo are three possibilities; there may be more. You should see which if any of the programs he is in will tell him that he is in the physical therapy program right away - or will they all make him go to college first for a few years and THEN apply to the physical therapy doctorate program. If any accept freshmen straight into the DPT program, that is what I'd go for. If they are all the same in that respect, I'd go for Ohio State if your son is outgoing and a go-getter (and can survive such a big environment) and OU if he is a little bit quieter.

Wikipedia says:

Qualifications in the United States

Physical Therapists must have a graduate degree from an accredited physical therapy program before taking the national licensing examination. Most educational programs now offer the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree. All states (in the United States) require physical therapists to pass the [National Physical Therapy Examination] after graduating from an accredited physical therapist educational program before they can practice.

According to the American Physical Therapy Association, there were 209 accredited physical therapist programs in 2007. Of the accredited programs, 31 offered the Master of Physical Therapy, and 179 offered the Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. Virtually all programs are in transistion to the DPT degree.