Temporary guardianship or power of attorney of said minor ???

MY CHILD LIVES WITH MY PARENTS IN IDAHO & HAS SINCE SHE WAS 3 WHEN THEY MOVED FROM CALIFORNIA & WHEN THEY MOVED I GAVE MY PARENTS MY WRITTEN CONSENT TO LIVE WITH THEM & TO MAKE ANY MEDICAL DECIONE a ENROLL HER IN SCHOOL WHEN THE TIME CAME ECT.. WE HAD A LAWYER THAT IS A LONG TIME FAMILY FRIEND HELP WITH THIS GOT IT NOTARIZED & ALL. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN JUST FINE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. UNTIL IT WAS TIME TO GET HER DRIVERS PERMIT. THE IDAHO DMV SAID MY PARENTS HAVE NO LEGAL SAY AT ALL NO LEGAL CUSTODY & NO POWER OF ATTORNEY OVER HER.DMV HAS CAUSED A BIG MESS CONTACTED HER SCHOOL & SHE CAN'T TAKE DRIVERS ED. I TRIED CALLING THEM THEY WON'T EVEN SPEAK WITH ME ALL .TOLD ME I COULD JUST BE SOMEONE MY PARENTS OR CHILD HAD CALL TO TRY TO GET AROUND THINGS.MY PARENTS WERE TOLD THEY HAD TO HAVE TEMPORARY GUARDIANSHIP OF MINOR OR POWER OF ATTORNEY OF SAID MINOR. WHEN THEY GOT ONE OR THE OTHER THEY COULD HELP THEM BUT NOT UNTIL THEN. WHO DIED AND LEFT THE DMV IN CHARGE.{ YOUR INPUT PLEASE }

5 Answers

Relevance
  • CGIV76
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because driver's license laws have changed for minors, you need to have a specific power of attorney created for your parents, which specifies that they are empowered to authorize your daughter to go to driver's ed, and obtain a provisional license.

Additionally, because your parents do not have guardianship of your daughter, the state is unable to allow them to be financially responsible for her in case of a traffic accident. This will make it difficult when they want to obtain car insurance for her as well. When you consult an attorney regarding the new power of attorney be sure that there is wording that specifies financial responsbility with regards to operating a motor vehicle.

Source(s): Me, retired Police Officer
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It hard to answer "why" questions for a lawyer. Whether you like it or not, rules are rules and bureaucrats are bureaucrats. Don't waste your time trying to make a government position make sense. Do a durable, general power of attorney that allows your parents to do everything for your daughter. Have it done bt an Idaho attorney. It would probably be less that $150 at the most. Just do what they want and quit agonizing over government regulations. You'll NEVER win over the ladies at the counter of DMV.

• 1 decade ago

They will need Temporary Guardianship. Power of attorney only give them the right to enroll her in school and to seek medical attention. The T G gives them the right to give permission for her to do something. It's also a way for the school to cover their asses in case something happens, and this way you can't go back and say " i didn't say it was OK".

• 1 decade ago

So, give them another power of attorney, what's the big deal. I understand it is an irritant to have to do it again but hey, it's for your kid right? The power of attorney your folks had may have expired or maybe it was worded too general.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

why is your child living with your parents.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.