Emergency TPS immigration question?

If you are from El Salvador with a TPS extention, and one of your parents dies . . . what can be done to leave the US to be with your family and not jepordize your legal status here? Please only answer if you have real knowledge on this matter. This is an emergency, my friend was just informed one of his parents was murdered.

3 Answers

  • joe b
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    El Salvadoran TPS beneficiaries are permitted to travel outside the US during the TPS extension ONLY IF they apply for Advance Parole. This advance permission can be obtained by filing Form I-131/Application for Travel document with the USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services).

    Failure to apply for Advance Parole prior to traveling abroad may result in the withdrawal of the Temporary Protected Status.

    If your friend has other inquiries, he can call USCIS Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283

    Here's more info about TPS if you are interested (read the last page of this press release):



    Here's the link to download the form I mentioned:


    I hope you find this helpful.

  • DAR
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    The problem is that in TPS you are saying you are unable to return, and now you would be returning. Go to uscis.gov, but I don't know if reentry authorizations work with TPS. In this case, since everyone knows the situation that led to TPS for El Salvador 'really' ended a long time ago, there may be something. I think that would be highly ironic, if true, however.

    Here is the link for the reentry permit and advance parole: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5a...

    However, traveling to the country you 'fled' from TPS still seems a tad strange to me....

  • 1 decade ago

    If it's safe enough for you to go back for the funeral then it's safe enough for you to go back for good. If you leave then you'll lose your TPS.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.