Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

How are apples part of the rose family?

So are strawberries. And watermelons are berries. Is this true?

Favorite Answer

Apples are indeed part of the rose family, Rosaceae. Specifically, they are Kingdom Plantae, Division Magnoliophyta, Class Magnoliopsida, Order Rosales, Family Rosaceae, Subfamily Maloideae, Genus Malus, species Malus domestica - the domestic apple.

Roses share the same Kingdom, Division, Class, Order, and Family; Subfamily is Rosoideae, Genus is Rosa, and species is Rosa speciosa.

Straberries differ from roses only in Genus and species (Fragaria speciosa); blackberrys likewise are related in the same way (Genus ans species Rubus Eubatus). I have tons of blackberry vines behind my home, and before they set fruit, they look VERY similar to wild roses.

A watermelon is NOT a berry; it is a "pepo," having a thick rind, and is most closely related to cucumbers (same family, Curcubitaceae, different genus and species), as well as pumpkins and squash.

Probably more about plant names than you ever wanted to know, right? ;-)

Not sure about watermelons but have heard that. Apples, strawberry and roses, ttrue. If you look closely at the flowers you can see the similarities. DNA sequencing shows these relationship, if distantly. Actually apples and the fruit of roses also are similar.

• keri

I've been surfing online more than 3 hours today seeking the answer to the same question, and I haven't found any interesting discussion like this. it's pretty worth enough for me.

yes they are....very far removed but yes the rosehip is the apple

Not sure about that

Don't think so.