Of which do you prefer more for reading novels: First person pov or third person pov?

Hmm, I have to say that I enjoy reading in third person pov more. I don't know why.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

i choose third person pov...

although i do tend to get all caught up in a good first person pov.. historical fiction, or non-fiction first person povs though..

third person pov books.. just about anything.

• 1 decade ago

i can't think of many novels i've even read in first person, except maybe the lovely bones. and even then the narrator becomes omniscient.

i prefer third person because you get a better feel for the details, and imho that's what novels are all about. just like if i were walking down the street and might miss some of the details, so might a first person narrator miss some of the details.

• 1 decade ago

I generally prefer third person... when I was little, I hated first person books.

Now it doesn't matter all that much. I just tend to feel a little trapped in first person. I like knowing more than the main character, which is hard to do in first person, and to get over that, the book has to be well written to keep my attention when in first person.

• 1 decade ago

Third person is by far the most common, so we are used to it.

It also gives the ability to give depth to the story, know what people are thinking, etc.

First person is more challenging. You really have to know your shizzle to pull it off successfully.

Oddly, I picked up a vintage book and tried to read it. It actually would jump from Second person (yes, second person) to third person and back again without any rhyme or reason.

I couldn't finish it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends on the story. Both pov have their places.

• Depends on the genre. If it is realistic fiction of today, I like first person. Third person is good too though. If its older, I like third person. This is because it is easier to understand.

• 1 decade ago

i completely agree with most other posts. i like 3rd pov, because it feels like i am watching their life, and a real part of all the characters and places involved. 1st pov, just doesn't do that, you really only get to know one character intimately....

• Hmmm... good question =]

I like both, but i would say usually the third person.

It depends on the book though.

x take are

• 1 decade ago

Third person omniscient is definitely the way to go.

• 1 decade ago

I would much rather read third person omniscient. I love it to death!!

But, I like to read 1st, 3rd, 2nd, whatever. I like them all. 3rd person just makes me feel like I am reading everyone's thoughts and I like that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.