Is it "pleaded" or "pled"?

I see in the newspaper that they use the term "he pleaded guilty" rather than "he pled guilty." Is there not such a word as "pled?" Wouldn't that be grammatically correct?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Alas, here is where journalism gets into the occasional fracas with grammar. And I say that as a professional journalist myself. Grammatically, pled and pleaded mean the same thing. Yet 90% of journalistic publications use THE AP STYLE MANUAL to settle such disputes....and AP says they prefer "pleaded." Hence, most of the media say "pleaded."

• 3 years ago

Pleaded Or Pled

• 1 decade ago

The correct way that it is pronounced is " pleaded". This is the present tense. Pled is the past tense.

Examples: Your Honor, my client pleaded not guilty to the charges. Mr. Reyes pled not guilty to the charges against him.

I trust that this has shed some light on these words, or the use of them. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

It depends on which side of the pond you are. In the UK it's "pleaded". In the USA it's "pled", although Anglo-American etymologies are constantly changing.

Source(s): UK Technical Author
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think its pled coz of"pled guilty to manslauhter" for example

• Pleaded. Or you can say "plead" with the "short e" sound.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is either one of them. Just as you can say either "lighted" or "lit" when referring to something being on fire.

• 1 decade ago

It can be either.

• either really

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

either/or

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.