If we assume that certain systems of matter and energy are conscious, how do we know which are not?

Your brain is a system of matter and energy and it's presumably conscious. What is it about the brain that makes it so? There are many other complex systems in the universe.

Is a worm conscious? Is bacteria conscious? Is the internet conscious? Is the universe conscious? How can you say that a rock is not conscious? It has a systematic arrangement and energy moves through it too.

If you're going to say "the soul" just save it. I'm looking for real answers.

Duke of Windom Earle: Interesting, but I wonder if any of his components can be removed? What about memory?

Best Answer

This guy gives a rigorous definition of consciousness. Under his definition people and worms are conscious, but the rest of the stuff you mentioned is not.

EDIT:

Maybe the internet is... I'm not sure.

Consciousness is the ability to know that you are aware of your surroundings. In the spiritual dimensions, everything is energetic consciousness. In the physical world, the brain is like a tool or computer to help you bring your spiritual consciousness into view.

It is sort of like tuning into a radio station. Unfortunately, some people are receiving the signals of creation too well. That is why we have people with special abilities being locked up into a lab or asylum.

Creative or God consciousness expands into energy on higher planes of existence. The third dimension is a lower frequency.

Oh, you want proof? OBEs and Dreams are the key. Do some astral travelling and talk to some spirit guides. They will help you understand.

Conciousness seems to be related to feedback mechanisms in the neocortex. It is essentially the brain thinking about its own thought process. It is a property of the complex algorithm which the brain performs.

It is important to remember that we are not the brain. We are what the brain does.

I am a Pantheist, in my opinion you are thinking in accurate terms.

Have a star, because I want to see peoples answer to this.