Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why do people think they are smart just because they are informed?

Informed simply means believing in what you hear, ie. the news, newspaper, etc. I mean, do you really think you are smart because you are up to date on the manipulation and mind control you get fed through the Tv and newspaper. Since when does being controlled mean you are intelligent, I would reason that you are in fact stupid for not being able to determine truth and fact from garbage.

Favorite Answer

informed means retrieve information, aka knowledge :)

but more I know, more I understand how little i know about this CRUEL world and people.

You have twisted what it means to be "informed."

Someone who is truly informed has the necessary tools to listen to the garbage on the TV and make a rational, intellectual decision as to whether or not the content was garbage or something valuable.

And for the record, simply being aware of what the media is saying does not guarantee that you believe what they tell you.

Who's misinformation have YOU been obsessing about lately that would posess you to pose such a question (or did you make this all up yourself)?

Depends what you mean by informed. To me, informed means knowing all the facts and every side of the argument, and then being able to make a judicious decision based on that information. To me, that's smart. Especially because I'm rarely that informed. :)