How to know what i wanna do??

I'm a high school senior now and we are getting bombarded with college Ads. and what not, so i dont know what to do as a career now, since i was little i used to tinker with electronics, a while ago PCs, and now 3D animation......so i just tought of being a PC engineer, but now i think i wouldnt be able to make enough money for my "dream" stuff, so i considered surgeon...takes 10yrs, possibly more but its a respected and well job....i think i can take all those yr of college...but im still thinking, should i just let time decide?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You should check out something in engineering.

Major: Engineering Design

Are you the inventor in your group of friends? Do you constantly modify or improve things in your house to make them more functional? If so, consider a major in Engineering Design. Part of the field of mechanical engineering, Engineering Design is a major that requires its students to constantly exercise their practical problem solving skills and creativity. Wonder about the best way to protect an egg that’s thrown from the top of a building? You might be required to design a device that will preserve it. Have a bag of random mechanical bits and pieces? You might be given a time limit in which to create a robotic device. These are only general examples, but you get the picture—you’ll apply the principles of Engineering to the process of creating new designs.

As an Engineering Design major, you’ll be involved in all aspects of product development—from forming the idea to laying out its specifications to fabricating it to testing the finished device. You’ll learn how to work in teams to get a project together. You’ll use your problem-solving and decision-making skills in real-life situations. And you’ll get hands-on experience with the actual nuts and bolts of Engineering.

Major: Engineering Mechanics

Linked closely to the field of civil engineering, Engineering Mechanics deals with the behavior of matter. You’ll learn how matter reacts to stresses, strains, and thermal effects. You’ll learn about resultants, equilibrium, and centers of gravity. You’ll learn about the strength of materials, the mechanics of motion, statics, and dynamics. You’ll study engineered structures to analyze their stability, design, and safety.

Since you’ll use computers and applied mathematics on a daily basis, much of your studies will consist of mathematics courses—eventually, you’ll be using this knowledge to predict matter’s response to forces, show the behavior of matter mathematically, and perform other such tricks of the trade.

As with most Engineering majors, you’ll have laboratory work to supplement your coursework, and you may have the opportunity to participate in a cooperative education program. This is a great way to get valuable hands-on experience in your field.

Major: Architectural Engineering

As you know, architects design buildings. Architectural engineers specialize in designing the engineering systems within buildings. Architectural Engineering is in many ways similar to civil and mechanical engineering, but it is specifically geared toward the building industry. There are only a handful of Architectural Engineering programs dotted throughout the United States, and some of them require five years of fairly rigorous and diverse study. For the lucky few who graduate from these programs, though, employment opportunities are exceptional and career opportunities are bright.

Architectural Engineering majors study the planning, design, construction, and operation of engineered systems for all different kinds of buildings. What kind of engineered systems, you ask? In a nutshell, all those tremendously important things in every building that no one really notices like electrical systems, lighting, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, fire protection, plumbing, and structural systems.

If you decide to major in Architectural Engineering, you'll study the fundamentals of engineering and building construction as well as architectural history and design, math, the physical sciences, computer programming, and surveying.

Major: Civil Engineering

Civil Engineering encompasses a broad combination of all the sub-disciplines within engineering, and civil engineers frequently work on complex projects which involve many technical, economic, social and environmental factors. Civil Engineering majors who become professional civil engineers are responsible for enormous projects like the Golden Gate Bridge, the Sears Tower, the English Channel Tunnel, and every other huge thing that needs to withstand the forces of nature. Civil Engineering involves the design and construction of bridges, earthquake-resistant high rise buildings in high seismic risk areas, eight-lane highways, offshore oil platforms, transit systems, dams, airports, landfills, recycling plants - all the colossal, one-of-a-kind structures that make modern civilization what it is. They synchronize traffic lights, too.

If you major in Civil Engineering, you'll probably choose from one of many different specialties in the field including transportation, structures, materials, hydrosystems, geotechnical, environmental, and construction. When you graduate, you shouldn't have a problem getting a job. As environmental concerns grow, and as technological innovations continue at a breakneck pace, the demand for civil engineers will rise. After all, somebody has to design, construct, and maintain the infrastructure and the facilities that are essential to our civilization.

Major: Electrical Engineering

Basics

Think MacGyver here: Is it the red or yellow wire to deactivate (or activate) the bomb? Does the answer seem obvious to you? Perhaps you’re an electrical engineer in the rough.

Electrical engineers design, develop, and test electrical equipment. They figure out ways to generate and control electrical energy. Electrical engineers work with every kind of device imaginable, from computers to clock radios to global positioning devices. They also really know the difference between amperage (strength), voltage (force), and wattage (power) of a current, and can toss off these terms and others with ease.

A major in Electrical Engineering requires extensive work in math and science. You can expect to take several classes in physics and calculus before moving into the more detailed study of electrical systems.

Major: Geological Engineering

Geological Engineering combines the fields of Geology and Engineering in a way that makes a lot of sense: majors study how human beings can put the earth to safe and efficient use. For example, they learn how to evaluate a site on which a tunnel, dam, or road might be built. They learn about geologic hazards, such as earthquakes and volcanoes, and how to best protect people from them. They examine ways to search for and harvest energy resources. They also discover ways to protect the earth while still exploiting it through careful industrial practices.

Geological Engineering is very much field oriented; much of your study will be hands-on research. Many programs offer summer field study programs in various parts of the country. Your studies will involve laboratory work, computer work, and problem-solving. The practical nature of Geological Engineering—using your knowledge of the earth to solve engineering problems—can make for a rewarding and exciting career.

Major: Ocean Engineering

It’s big and it’s blue and you can bet that we haven’t even begun to understand its depth (no pun intended, of course).

The ocean is one of the richest and most complicated bodies in the world, providing us with everything from oil to oxygen. Someone out there has to help us understand its potential and resources, and you can bet that we’re not looking to Eugenie Clark (a.k.a the Shark Lady) to answer our questions (or at least not all of them). No, for this we depend on the ocean engineer, the scientist who has brought the math and the analytical tools of engineering to bear on the largest physical mass on the face of the earth. We turn to the ocean engineers of the world to help us understand such complex things as ocean thermal dynamics, or how to preserve the balance of the delicate resources that we can find only in the ocean.

The career options with an Ocean Engineering major are varied because not only will you have the skills of an engineer—able to figure out differential math equations while leaping a tall building—but you will, of course, have the entire ocean as your specialty. So, whether you want to help design the next battleship, or help preserve the Great Barrier Reef, the world is your oyster.

Also check out the Bureau of Labor & Statistics Occupational Outlook for Engineers... http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

• 1 decade ago

take some general education classes in college, don't declare a major yet. I've been in college a few years and still don't know what I want to do yet.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I don't wanna dance, dance with you baby oh no, never do somethin to hurt you tho, oh but the feeling is bad the feeling is bad

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.