A SERIOUS RABBIT QUESTION?

okay, i know there are about a million questions that ask "How long do rabbits live?" but it said about up to 12 year, at the most, and 7 at the least. but my mom said they have really short lives so i shouldnt get one because she didnt want me to be sad. her friend had a rabbit and my mom said it died... show more okay, i know there are about a million questions that ask "How long do rabbits live?" but it said about up to 12 year, at the most, and 7 at the least. but my mom said they have really short lives so i shouldnt get one because she didnt want me to be sad. her friend had a rabbit and my mom said it died quickly, and that same rabbit had shots monthly, fed regularyly, and very well cared for. i have no idea why it died so quickly. so my question? how long do rabbits live? could you please answer in your own experiences, like "mine lived to be 12" or "i had one that died after 3 years" something like that, not "they have an avergae life span of 7-12 years"
also, do rabbits smell bad in their cages? my mom said she didnt want the whole house stinking like rabbit poo (but i read that rabbits are rather clean amimals and dont stink...) and she said her friend had a stinky rabbit. either her friend had an unlucky rabbit, or ARE ALL RABBITS LIKE THIS????