Vegan views on horse-riding?

I read an article where vegans where claiming that riding a horse was abusing the horse. I agree that years of specific breeding and training to produce an animal that will allow you to sit on it is very un-vegan. But I got wondering...suppose a vegan rescued a horse from an animal sancuary and say it wasn't... show more I read an article where vegans where claiming that riding a horse was abusing the horse. I agree that years of specific breeding and training to produce an animal that will allow you to sit on it is very un-vegan. But I got wondering...suppose a vegan rescued a horse from an animal sancuary and say it wasn't exactly a tough one you could put out to roam around in a field, say an ex-showjumper or racehorse. Its particular breed made it need to be kept indoors much of the time and needed horse feed because too much grass would make it sick and the animal was generally about as far from a wild horse as you could get. Is it vegan to excercise the horse by riding it (providing you can get non-leather tack) or should you just chase it around a field to make it run for excercise, bearing in mind by the way its been bred it will become ill through lack of excercise.
Update: I think the 'chase it around a field' idea is pretty ridiculous btw! I just wondered if there was any vegans who thought riding is animal abuse abuse, or is it when someone writes an article they like to interview the craziest, crackpot vegans they can find? I used to ride years ago and I know you can... show more I think the 'chase it around a field' idea is pretty ridiculous btw! I just wondered if there was any vegans who thought riding is animal abuse abuse, or is it when someone writes an article they like to interview the craziest, crackpot vegans they can find?

I used to ride years ago and I know you can only ask a horse, you can't make it do anything and I rarely saw a horse who wasn't happy to get taken out for a run with someone on his/her back. It was just when I read this stuff claiming that the vegan view was it is 'animal abuse.'
Update 2: yeah, I guess my hypothetical vegan with a rescued horse is a far cry from the usual hacking jacket wearing, riding crop brandishing mob.
Update 3: Point I'm getting at is if a horse can't get out enough to excercise itself (cold weather, mud, etc - posh breeds can't handle that for long) would it be wrong to not give it an intense burst of excercise by riding or lunge rein, at your command for its own wellbeing? (bearing in mind I'm talking... show more Point I'm getting at is if a horse can't get out enough to excercise itself (cold weather, mud, etc - posh breeds can't handle that for long) would it be wrong to not give it an intense burst of excercise by riding or lunge rein, at your command for its own wellbeing? (bearing in mind I'm talking about a really unnatural breed, not a hardy,stocky one with a thick coat but a shiny one with spindly legs.)I know it sounds unusual, but I would think there is a probability of a vegan taking on a horse, which could well excercise itself in summer, but winter depends on what country you live in.