Is it always morally wrong to tell a lie?

regarding all types of lies: big lies, little white lies, for the greater good lies, etc.

Favorite Answer

NO! I am a firm believer in relativity--it depends on the situation, the people involved and the culture they are in. (Just got done with philosophy in college, so using "big" terms.) However, it can be wrong. Some people say what I say to assuage their guilt, however some other people are very right. The people that hid Anne Frank had to lie, I'm sure, and I don't think that anyone is going to hold that against them. It all depends on the things I listed above.

Hope this helps!

I believe that a lie is morally wrong when the outcome of that lie will physically, mentally, or emotionally harm at least one individual. As for the Nazi example, when you lie about hiding Jews in your home you are saving an innocent life that would have been killed under an unjust cause. However, if the police knock on your door looking for your best friend who just so happens to be a serial killer and you lie and say he isn't at your house when he really is, well that could be different. That would not be the "just" thing to do. But what is "just" and "moral" is a whole different philosophical question. So basically, if you're going to lie to someone, make sure it is for the greater cause. Don't let lies compromise the love and trust you have for other people.

When you lie to someone.. you lie to someone.

There is no way in justifying something that is wrong, to become 'alright'. Even when a lie is easier to hear, rather than the truth... that person is going to have to face reality, sooner or later.. whether it will be easy or not.

when you screw up, you man up.. It builds character and shows integrity.

If someone was to ever be caught in such a situation.. where a little white lie, or a big lie will get them totally away from any consequences.. they should stop, think, and do what's right. They should take responsibility for their own actions.. otherwise, how will they ever learn?

in response to the guy below me.... life was never ours to give, or to take away. if i was to save somebody's life by lying.. the choice of the matter would not have been in my hands to begin with. I could lie, and the person dies anyways.. i'd debate about this.. but this is just an answers forum.

No, if you're trying to protect someone with good intentions even though it will hurt them. But only if your lie is less hurtful than the truth. The truth will never come out if you never tell anyone.

If you want to get it out, write it on a piece of paper and then.

1.burn it

2. go to another city and put it on the front desk at the library so someone you dont no reads it.

3.write it in a indescripable language

4. write millions of lies and become used to it so much it wont even hurt even more.

Not if you're telling the lie to save the life of someone.

Yes, yet I lie all the time so pay no more attention to this post.

No. The reasons for this are self-evident and have been stated in other answers here already.

Source(s): This self-evident answer has been brought to you courtesy of Jack