Driving away with the gas pump?

3 days ago my boyfriend was being sweet and filling my car with gas and washing the windows. He drove away with the gas pump still in the car. He only got 3 feet and went in to see the attendant right away. One lady came out and siad it was fine, it just snaps back on. He was told the same thing inside. However,... show more 3 days ago my boyfriend was being sweet and filling my car with gas and washing the windows. He drove away with the gas pump still in the car. He only got 3 feet and went in to see the attendant right away. One lady came out and siad it was fine, it just snaps back on. He was told the same thing inside. However, they took his information. They called 3 days later and asked if he would be paying for the damages or if my insurance was going to cover it... I feel that since they waited 3 days to call, they are trying to scam me.He hasnt called back yet... What should I do??
Update: I didnt htink about calling the police because they said we were all set.