difference between alleluia and hallelujah?

does anybody know?.. I always wondered that long time ago, and then when I became a church choir member, the question ran into my head again.

Best Answer

In Greek, there is not really a letter H; it is represented by which way the hook-looking mark goes at the beginning of the word. So when the Hebrew "Halleluyah" was translated from Hebrew to Greek and then to Latin, it became "Alleluia". But when German scholars translated directly from the Hebrew, they got "Hallelujah". The J in German is pronounced as the English Y and the Hebrew letter "Yod".

Alleluia Meaning

Define Alleluia

• Kim

Hallelujah, Halleluyah, or Alleluia, is a transliteration of the Hebrew word הַלְלוּיָהּ (Standard Halləluya, Tiberian Halləlûyāh) meaning "praise (הַלְּלוּ) Yah (יָהּ)". It is found mainly in the book of Psalms and has a similar pronunciation in many, but not all, languages. The word is used in Judaism as part of the Hallel prayers, and in Christian praise. It has been accepted into the English language.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): difference alleluia hallelujah: https://biturl.im/mgZqk

Nazarenes use Alleluia---Pentcostal use Hallelujah; I like both; That is the only Jewish word I know; Praise The Lord;------------------Note see that ah--ha in Hallelujah---------5 th letter of Hebrew alphbeit ---9 Prophets have this in their Name-breath of God, including Abraham and Sarah-4 prophets have "EL' in their name----that is more than a coincdence I noticed this while in sunday school at 63 yrs of age;----Jewish brothers could explain this far better than I, I like your question;

I like hallelujah as I was taught in my bible class that "h" has a special meaning of the breath of God - so God gave Abram a new name Abra"h"am and Sarai Sara"h"

Having remembered that, I want to praise God with my breath, representing my being (life)

• Judith

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axE4I

same basically Hallelujah you'll see in a SONG it's the Hallelujah Chorus but we say alleluia..... You say potatoe and I say potato tomatoe, tomato - same ole, same ole.....

The spelling. Kind of like Hanukkah and Chanukah.

Source(s): Have a nice day!

Same thing -- just different transliteration of the Hebrew. Both mean praise God.

.