Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What are some relly good holocaust books?

I love to read books about the holocaust and I would like to know about some good ones and what their storyline is. Thanx : }

Update:

I meant, really.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Children of Willesden Lane -- the story of Lisa Jura, a Jewish teenager and piano prodigy who escaped Nazi persecution during World War II aboard the Kindertransport. Co-written by Grammy-nominated pianist Mona Golabek (Lisa's daughter) and Lee Cohen, The Children of Willesden Lane recounts Lisa Jura's experiences with other Kindertransport children in a house in England on a street called Willesden Lane.

http://www.mff.org/cw/cw.taf?page=annenberg

Fragments of Isabella is a memoir by Isabelle Leitner. Her book was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize and a movie was based on it.

"As a young woman, Isabella Leitner was deported from Hungary to Auschwitz; the Nazis murdered her mother and one sister, but by unimaginable fortitude and will to survive she and her three other sisters dodged death. Her recollections make a sparse and searing book, fragments of remembered feelings and occurrences that evoke perhaps better than most works something unfathomable."http://www.foreignaffairs.org/19781201fabook14800/...

Aranka Siegal, Upon the Head of a Goat,

"At the outbreak of World War II, 9-year-old Piri is visiting her grandmother in the Ukrainian countryside and is unable to return to her family in the Hungarian town of Beregszász. Aranka Siegal, the Piri of the narrative, finally comes home the following year but finds her life forever changed: her father is serving on the Russian front, and her mother's attempt to secure passage to America for her children fails . . . Rise Davidowitz maintains her family's traditional customs and tries to hold her family together until she and Iboya, Piri, Sandor and Joli are taken . . . to Auschwitz in 1944 . . . A sensitive portrait of a remarkable young girl and her family." --Starred, School Library Journal

http://www.fsgkidsbooks.com/teachersguides/goatand...

All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein

"Gerda Weissmann Klein was born in Bielsko, Poland, in 1924, and now lives in Arizona with her husband, Kurt Klein, who as a U.S. Army lieutenant liberated Weissmann on May 7, 1945. The author of five books, she has received many awards and honorary degrees and has lectured throughout the country for the past forty-five years. One Survivor Remembers (a production of Home Box Office and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum), winner of an Emmy Award and the Academy Award for documentary short subject, was based on All But My Life."

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnin...

The Bielski Brothers: The True Story of Three Men Who Defied the Nazis, Saved 1,200 Jews, and Built a Village in the Forest

By Peter Duffy

http://www.nasw.org/users/skloot/Bielski.htm

The Bielski Family Camp

In late 1941, after the Germans had murdered masses of Jews in the Nowogródek area, of including the parents of Tuvia, Zusia and Asael Bielski, the three brothers escaped to the nearby Naliboki forest where they set up a partisan unit. They sought to avenge the murdered and save other Jews. Over time, they were joined by other Jewish fugitives from the various Ghettos and camps. By the summer of 1943, the Family Camp, under Tuvia Bielski’s command, grew to about 1,200 persons. The Camp was both a unit for fighting the Germans and a place of refuge. Tuvia, Zusia and most of the other members of the Camp survived. Asael, an officer in the Red Army, fell in battle against the Germans.

“Don’t rush to fight and die…we need to save lives. It is more important to save Jews than to kill Germans.”

Tuwja Bielski

http://www1.yadvashem.org/remembrance/rememberance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielski_partisans

• 1 decade ago

I have been reading a lot of them myself lately.

Night is very good.

There's also a book called The Book Thief which is about a girl who is growing up during the war but she is not in a camp. She's not jewish but it still touches on that.

I've read a book called Neighbors that was pretty good.

There's really a lot of them. I recently ordered a few online but for some reason I can't remember what they are called!

Of course there's always the Diary Of Anne Frank.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There's always The Diary of Anne Frank, The Hiding Place, Hide and Seek, Night, The Upstairs Room, etc.

• m p
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

"The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom is excellent...She tells the story of how her family hid several Jews in their home in Holland during the holocaust. They were eventually discovered, and sent to concentration camps...She tells about all of this, and she actually survived, but not sure about the rest of her family. There is a musuem in Holland of her house, which you can do a google search and find the website that shows the house and the actual hiding place.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky.

Absolutely Beautiful. The autor died in a concentration camp. She wrote this book about the invasion of France. Powerful stuff and so sad. She died before this book could be completed.

• 1 decade ago

Night is a good short one. It's not hard to get through and it's really tear-inducing. It's about this guy who's family get's taken into a holocaust camp and how he got through it all with the help of his father, and how he worried about how his faith in his religion began to change.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Time's Arrow, by Martin Amis.

You won't know it's about the holocaust until you're almost done, but then it all becomes clear.

An amazing book that's literally written backwards.

• 1 decade ago

YOU HAVE TO READ BRIAR ROSE!!! it is the story of the Holocaust told throught the symbolism of a fairy tale in the first part of the book. it is actually the grandma(Gemma) telling her grand daughters the story. when one daughter becca finds a box belonging to this deceased grandma she searches to find her history. in the latter part of the book we hear the story of beccas friend during the time of the holocaust. it sounds weird here but trust me ya gotta try it. it is my favorite book of all time. READ IT NOW(not now but soon)

Source(s): i read it
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think you should read Anne Frank`s diary. It`s a true story about World War II looked by a young girl. who was livin`in a secreat room with his family.

• Beejee
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

"The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich", by Wm. L. Shirer..

The title provides a pretty good hint about the 'story'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.