Do any of the vegans and vegetarians here not eat animals solely on the basis of not wishing to?

cause pain and suffering? If so, you'll be happy to know that you can eat oysters, clams and other bivalves because these animals do NOT have brains and are unable to feel pain. For those of you who won't eat honey, the bees brains aren't developed enough to feel pain either. "Bivalves (a... show more cause pain and suffering?

If so, you'll be happy to know that you can eat oysters, clams and other bivalves because these animals do NOT have brains and are unable to feel pain.

For those of you who won't eat honey, the bees brains aren't developed enough to feel pain either.

"Bivalves (a class of mollusk; including oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops) are much more complex than sponges. They don't have a brain, but rather very basic nerve ganglia (bunches of nerves). It is doubtful that their nervous systems are developed enough to be conscious of pain. Because they have nervous tissue, there is an argument to be made for avoiding products that may have harmed bivalves.

Insects (including bees) do have brains. But their brains are not highly developed, and they are likely not large enough to facilitate the consciousness of pain.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/starterpack...
Update: The reaction in these animals via nerve ganglia is more similar to the reactions of plantlife than of animals.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/2007...
Update 2: This is the basis of the vege argument that plants feel no pain: "For plants to feel physical pain, they must have some sort of organized tissue which, upon stimulation, would activate a structure in the plant that is conscious and could perceive the stimulation as painful." It is the same argument... show more This is the basis of the vege argument that plants feel no pain:

"For plants to feel physical pain, they must have some sort of organized tissue which, upon stimulation, would activate a structure in the plant that is conscious and could perceive the stimulation as painful."

It is the same argument that is being presented regarding the bees and the bivalves and it comes from the same vegan webpage.
Update 3: bunny--"yes, bees can actually feel pain and they do have brains"----please provide a link. I have provided links of verification with my statements and they statement you are contradicting comes directly from a vegan site.
Update 4: krister---they don't FEEL the pain because they don't have brains. The same reactions occur in plants.
Update 5: bunny---BTW you have a comprehension problem. The question:

"Do any of the vegans and vegetarians here not eat animals solely on the basis of not wishing to cause pain and suffering?"

You are making a case for yourself although the question didn't apply to you.
Update 6: Janet---honey is vegetarian, but you can't eat the bees :-)
Update 7: pork--it's not my intention to put anyone in their place, their place is exactly where they choose to be, my presence here is to point out contaradiction, inaccuracy and hypocrisy, create a discussion and learn what and why people believe what they do and if they're faced with facts against their beliefs,... show more pork--it's not my intention to put anyone in their place, their place is exactly where they choose to be, my presence here is to point out contaradiction, inaccuracy and hypocrisy, create a discussion and learn what and why people believe what they do and if they're faced with facts against their beliefs, if they are open to learning as I am.

Just 5 minutes ago, I had to admit that livestock adds more to global warming than the transportation sector because I was presented with facts.

My purpose isn't to win an argument it's to feed minds and to have mine fed as well.
Update 8: SST----"I don't eat animals because I choose not to do so."---then the question wasn't addressed to you was it? Nice rant though.
Update 9: krister---"connected in a network."----like the plants?
Update 10: mr. meat----thanks, without reference how can you expect to have legitimacy ya know?