French "en" and "y" expressions?

Well I would like to know what J'en suis means in french. it makes no sense to me, also can some tell me how to use "y compris" it means like including, right? but can u also use "incluire"or not? thanks

Favorite Answer

"J'en suis" can be translated in different ways according to the context.

1) I am......by something:

J'en suis ravi(e) :I am delighted by it / this/ that.

J'en suis surpris(e) : I am surprised by this.

2)There also is the expression "J'en suis certain(e) / J'en suis sûr(e)", which is "I am certain about this / I am sure of it."

3) I belong to this group/ category:

Tu fais partie des scouts ? Oui, j'en suis un.

Are you a member of the scouting movement ? Yes, I belong to it .

Vous appartenez au parti socialiste? Non, je n'en suis pas membre.

Do you belong to the Socialist Party? No, I don't belong to it/ I am not a member.

4)"Voilà où j'en suis" is a specific expression which means "This is the point which I have reached".

J'y suis = I am there (at a specific place)

Tu es en France cette semaine? Oui, J'y suis pour dix jours.

You are in France this week? Yes, I am there for ten days.

"Y compris" means "included in" something specific (bear in mind that "y" often means "therein", so "included therein".)

Tout le monde est bienvenu chez nous, y compris les enfants.

Everybody is welcome in our establishment, children included. (meaning "as well")

If you want to use the verb "inclure" then you would need to use the past participle "inclus". For instance you could see on a menu in a restaurant "Taxes et service compris" or "Taxes et service inclus", which effectively both mean the same thing.

Nous invitons tout le monde= Tout le monde est inclus dans notre invitation, y compris les enfants.

We are inviting everybody= Everyone is included in our invitation, children as well.

I hope this makes things clearer for you.

Source(s): Native linguist.

Allez-vous-en: Go- Go away-

Y compris ma mere: Including my mom

usually "j'en suis" is preceded by ou (with an accent), which means "where I am at" (e.g. where i am at in life, on my homework etc.)

"y compris" does mean including.

it isn't "incluire" but "inclure" which is an infinitif, you can use it, but it gets VERY complicated, as you have to conjugate it and not use it as an infinitif, you would most commonly use it as "inclus", but that does not work in every sentence.

Hope that helped!

j'en suis arrivé là = i've come this far

y compris des pommes = including apples

infinitive = inclure

inclure des pommes = include apples