Anyone here taking ballroom dance lessons?

I've just signed up for a series of 5 private ballroom dance lessons and I'm just a bit intimidated. What has been you experience starting to dance as an adult?

Favorite Answer

I love to dance and it is great exercise. I've never taken dance lessons, but I've always wanted to take tap. I wanted to join a group of ladies who perform around the area, but you have to be 55. (I'm 51) I think you'll do wonderfully and maybe you'll even inspire me to get moving again. Have fun.

No, but I drive by a studio every day and keep thinking that I ought to stop one day and see if they have any kind of "dancing to lose weight" plans. I think that that would be a fun exercise. On the dancing shows someone is always telling how much weight they lost. Of course, I know that they are dancing for hours every day, but, I still think it would work even if you only went 2 or 3 times a week. Isn't that about how often some people hit the gym?

• Anna

There are a few ways. One - your community may offer classes at the local college or community rec center. Two - find clubs that having that type of dancing, you will learn a lot by dancing with other people and often the clubs have lessons offered for free if you get there early.

• CB

My wife and I have done three rounds of ballroom dancing It was kinda fun actually. One complaint I have is that the Fred Estaire studio makes you practice on a dance floor with whatever music is going on... waltz to rumba, foxtrot to the waltz... you get the idea. But I would do it again because it really helps with self esteem

I took $3,000.00 worth of lessons at Fred Astaire when I was 50 years old. The problem was that I didn't have a partner to practice with. And they do make you dance to whatever music is playing. It is a workout, but they won't make you do a dance that is too much for you.

Two male dancers and one female dancer on D W the Stars train here in Houston. When that word got out, several people called those studios for lessons.... but not me. I'm sure it is far more difficult than I could handle !!

• mzell

I think it wud be great fun and get a lot of exercise. I love to dance but have never had those kind of lessons. Good luck to u and have fun!

I took ballroom dancing when I was in Junior High & enjoyed it so much. Don't be intimidated. You'll do just fine. Enjoy yourself. :)

No, I've never taken them, BUT, I've always thought it would be SO neat. I've kindof always wanted to take those kinds of lessons. It sounds fun! You should totally do it. Don't be afraid, tons of people do it. By it I mean dance.

• KOHA

You do realize this is the Seniors Group?

I'm older and fatter than Wayne Newton. The Texas Two Step is about as much as I can handle.