Alaskan deer hunts?

I want to go on an Alaskan deer hunt in 2010, and I live in Pennsylvania. Can I go hunt in Alaska by myself for deer? Or do I need a guide? What are you suggestions?

Favorite Answer

You could go it alone, but you really don't want to get lost up there alone. Definitely invest in a GPS. I lived 65 miles from Anchorage and we had black bears and moose attempt to kill us daily over their babies being in our yard (6 acres) and us walking to the car. There are tons of guides that know the terrain, and how to get back to the camp! Enjoy the scenery and if you are able, fly into the wilderness and see the REAL Alaska.

You can go deer hunting without a guide but being in the woods in PA is not the same as Alaska. I was raised and learned to hunt in Virginia. I have lived here for 14 years. You do not want to go in the woods alone.

You will probably want to go out to Admiralty Island or the Juneau area. Kodiak has deer but they also have brown bears and it is all remote hunting.

Why on earth would you come here to hunt deer? The deer here are Sitka Black Tail. They are the size of large dogs. Few dress out at as much as 90lbs.

If you are gonna pay that much to fly here, get an out-of-state license and all the trouble why not hunt caribou or moose. Neither require a guide and are reasonably huntable for someone with a fair amount of outdoors experience.

I agree with the others. They don't even mention deer in most of the Division of Fish and Game literature. Moose is the big thing up here. And you get more meat too. You do not need a guide for deer in Alaska to answer your question. The Alaska Fish And Game has a web site and you can order all the info you need from them. For moose you need to bring a BIG buddy with you or a couple of dumb cousins.

Sarge in Alaska.

you can but to get big deer i would hire a guide