dscougar asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

What's the best midwifery program for me?

I should start off by saying that I live int he U.S., where midwifery ceritifications and degrees are somewhat more complicated than in other countries.

My big nerdy dream is to be a midwife, working in international crisis situations and refugee camps. Right now I only have an unrelated bachelor's degree. I know that for my specific goals I should be a nurse midwife, and not go the direct entry route. But where should I get my training? Would it be worth it to study abroad? I speak passable french and would love to work with medecins sans frontiers someday. Or should I get my initial training closer to home, where I can get more support from my family? Would a foreign program position me better for my future goals? I suspect the scandinavian countries would be strongly respected internationally, but I just don't know where to begin my research on this.

Thanks for your help!

Favorite Answer

there are several good programs in US,two are in el paso,tex....look on google and find them.....there are other programs as well..pick the one for you...good luck